+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heading to Kitty Hawk 8/2/08

Hybrid View

Default Heading to Kitty Hawk 8/2/08

After a 4 year absence, we are headed back to our beloved North Carolina Outer Banks from Saturday 8/2/08 until Sunday 8/10/08. I am determined to take my 1st fly rod caught saltwater fish (hopefully PLURAL!). While I will also take spinning gear, my main focus will be with the long rod.
    If anyone is headed that way the same time or lives around there & wants to get together for fishing, food, a cold one, coffee, or whatever, please shoot me a PM. Saltwater "tips" are also appreciated.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Smile

Mike -

My suggestion is that if you really want to catch saltwater fish on the fly rod, leave the spinning gear at home. COMMIT to the fly rod and live with the consequences - then post some photos when you get home.

John

P. S. I know you will have FUN so I won't wish you any of that. Also, Woody Hayes quoting Amos Alonzo Stagg said it best - "LUCK is a residue of skill." So no point wishing you any of that either.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Mike -

My suggestion is that if you really want to catch saltwater fish on the fly rod, leave the spinning gear at home. COMMIT to the fly rod and live with the consequences - then post some photos when you get home.

John

P. S. I know you will have FUN so I won't wish you any of that. Also, Woody Hayes quoting Amos Alonzo Stagg said it best - "LUCK is a residue of skill." So no point wishing you any of that either.
    John,
    Excellent point about committing to the fly rod, which I intend to do. The spinning gear is going just to bait fish for some sheepshead or black drum for a fish fry..
    You are right...I WILL have FUN!...now the LUCK may be iffy.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Tip #1: Fish at dawn, dusk and on falling tides.

Tip #2: On the low tides, walk the beach and shores looking for small holes and channels the fish will use to ambush prey on the falling tides. Fish these closest to shore and working out from there. Small crab patterns, deceivers and clousers to match the local forage. As I remember from southern NC and Northern SC was tan to brown crabs, decievers with an olive to olive blue back and white silver belly, and light grey to tan clousers. Shrimp Patterns are great, too.

Tip #3: Don't be afraid to let a pattern "dead drift" a while before you start a retrive.

Good luck and have fun down there!

Tuber,

Just came back from a week (7-06 thru 7-13) at Kitty Hawk at 5 mile post. Didn't fish while there though. Spent time with family, grandkids and reading two and a half books! Haven't tried fly fishing there in the past. Sorry I didn't keep the local vacationeer's booklet; but, there are some folks in the OBX that can provide info on fly fishing. Have seen a few folks in the shallow sound side of the Bonner Bridge area fly fishing in past years and near the Oregon Inlet Marina area. Also, out on the ocean side of the Inlet after driving out through the sand. Can't remember the site address just offhand; but, used to have two bookmarked to check the fishing reports. One was Outer Banks something and the other was the Red Drum whatever. Sorry couldn't be of more help. It was a bit cooler then normal while we were there and only had one full rain day and another short storm. Good luck and let us know how it goes. We stay on the beach road just around the corner from Arch St. Usually use the Helga St. ingress and egress to the bypass road so we can use the stoplight there to avoid getting broadsided by the gawkers!

Mike,

Ditto the sentiments about committing to the fly. I did it this spring and haven't looked back! Never been skunked on the salt this year but once, and that's due solely to the fact that a lovely bluefish bit the fly clean off.

Check out http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/default.asp. Apologies for linking to another FF board, but the scope there is aimed totally at saltwater flyfishing, with plenty of good folks who'll steer you in the right direction.

Best bet for Kitty Hawk is soundside. Clousers in black/orange, orange/white, any combo you can think of, and smallish shrimp patterns. And brown/copper flashdancers!!!

Good luck, PM if you need more info.

Marty

+ Reply to Thread