Thread: New 6 wt recommendation ?

Threaded View

Default New 6 wt recommendation ?

I am looking for some ideas here on some rods to look at. I figure you all can suggest something I may e overlooking. My main smallmouth rod is an Orvis 9ft 6 wt, Mid flex. It has the saltwater reel seat. I want a faster rod. I made the mistake of casting a Sage Z-Axis 6 wt and I really really like it. The problem is the price. My most expensive rod to date is under $350. I just am having a hard time spending almost $700 on a rod. I would like someting that casts similar to the Z-Axis but at a lower price.

Right now I am considering a Orvis T3 Saltwater 6wt in a Tip Flex. I like Orivs rods but also own St Croix, Sage, Scott and TFO rods. So I am not into a single brand.

Building, I have thought about it, and have built one before, but am not sure I want to do that, but may consider it.

I would like to keep it under $400. I know the T3 is more than that but I am the T3 as top dollar and no more.

I use a Clouser Line as well as a SA Quad Tip line. I mostly wade fish and use a lot of weighted flies in sie 4-6. Medium lead eyes, some small lead eyes. I also throw deer hair bugs and other poppers, but understand that a 6 wt is not a big deer hair launcher. I have 7-9 weights also for that.

What else should I look at in a 4 piece rod??

One rod I am curious about is the TFO Axiom. . . .

-wayne
    Last edited by waynep; 07-24-2008 at 01:21 AM.