The Susquehanna is in the worst shape it's every been in.
I also fish the white fly hatch. The hatch starts around Wrightsville and goes upstream. I too have seen blizzard hatches...... but no stinkin' bass eating them.
In Marysville and Perdix up to Duncannon was a "world class" smallmouth fishery. I could catch and release over 100 bass a day with my flyrod! Even when the sun was out, 3pm until dark, almost every cast.
The smallmouth were so plentiful when I put my woolybugger in the water in front of me to check the action...... a small bass would smack it! LOL I had to yank the fly out of the water. So many bass they were "pesty"
In 03' at Marysville I saw myself the thousands of YOY bass gasping for air and every one had a white fungus spot on their back.
Every year since then I see hundreds of fully grown dead bass floating down the river. Also a lot of sores on the few bass I catch in the last five years.
I fished Wrightsville tonight and didn't have a stinkin' hit. No fish!
The channel cats are stocked in the Susquehanna. They put a truckload in at Wrightsville in May. The small channel cats will smack a black woolybugger at twilight and are a lot of fun with a flyrod. The bass are dying, but I thought the catfish could survive the polluted water.
Almost all of the channel cats are dead now. The few remaining have a pale sick look like they are full of fungus.
The rockbass were plentiful a few years ago, but they are in a huge decline also. The couple small ones I caught had funny white markings on them. Half dead from the fungus in the polluted water. I see a lot of dead carp also!!! I thought they could live anywhere!
Ten years ago the Susquehanna had a gravel bottom with clear water. Now it has runoff silt and snotgrass everywhere.
This breaks my heart and makes me sick. I went up to Sunbury and down to the C Bay, but everyplace has a huge decline with the smallies.
I'm about ready to give up with the Susquehanna and only saltwater flyfish.