+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tongariro River

Default Tongariro River

Hi, just a quick report on the Tongariro over the weekend, Friday the river was at about 30 to 33cmps and fished realy well. The water was that perfect deep emerald green colour that always fishes well. Between two of us we landed 26 good Rainbows (3 to 5lb) and one small Brown.
    Saturday the river was at about 40cmps in the morning and a little bit more colour to it but we still managed about 10 good fish before the river got realy dirty in the afternoon. The river got up to 220cmps overnight so Sunday was a wash out!
    The runs have certainly started and we caught fish in every pool we fished, it doesn't get much better than that.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Sounds good until Sunday! Were you nymphing or wetlining, or both? Did the fish have a preference? What sort of condition were they in?

- Jeff

Wink

Mike -

Those are some NICE bows !!

Must have been one heck of a storm to move the flows from 40 to 220 cmps ( that would be from about 1400 cfs to 7700 cfs the way we measure flow over here ) !!

Just thinking about big bows like that almost gave me the runs, but I'm wondering what you mean by it in your context ??

John

P.S. If you don't have a camera, I'd be inclined to sponsor a fund raising effort here on FAOL to get you one so you could post some photos from your part of the world. If you do have one, PLEASE .....
    Last edited by JohnScott; 07-21-2008 at 01:01 AM.
    The fish are always right.

Hey Guys, yes it was quite a bit of rain over a 3 day period, but the river only realy rose over a period of about 20 hours, I think the power company may have closed there intake gates so the river went up very quickly and has also gone down again fairly quickly.
    With all the rain I did not get my camera out of the bag, but my mate Q did take some pics with his waterproof camera, if I can get him to send me some of them I will try to post them.
    As for fishing style Jeff most fish were caught nymphing with heavy bombs and a trailing Green Caddis or Prince nymph.
    As far as size goes John those fish are about average for the Tongariro, but at the moment most of the bigger (longer) fish are looking fairly thin and dark but the smaller fish around the 3 to 3.5lb mark are in great shape, short, fat and siver, Just the way we like them!
    All the best.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread