Okay here?s a softball question for all you warm water gurus. I?m new to river fishing and nymphing. I?m fishing the Pigeon River in north-east Indiana. Last weekend the river was high and the weather cooler, I got rained on, and did ok for a monings worth of fishing. Landed 4 small mouth in the 8 to 10 inch class next to the Ontario dam using a prince nymph. Yesterday the river was down at least 8 inches, weather clear, sunny and getting hot, 75 at 7 am, with water clarity low and greenish. I tried a black wooley to start and then, after no luck, switched to the prince nymph. Total take was 4 4 or 5 inch small mouth.

My questions: 1) Have the larger fish gone deep and are only feeding at night due to the heat and lower water? 2) Will a fish holding in a deep hole, and there are a lot of deep holes down stream of the dam, take a nymph if it comes near? 3) Is it better to skip fishing the river and a) just go to work and wait for cooler weather in the fall, or fish the reservoirs upstream of the dams, or c) work the holes? If c) Work them with what?

By the way, I dredged the river bottom near the dam and did not find any nymphs or larva, what?s up with that?

Did see a bald eagle so the morning was actually pretty good!