+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size and wt regarding fly rod

Default Size and wt regarding fly rod

I'm looking to purchase a new rod this spring for brookies, i would like to go with a 2 or 3 wt line, but still can't decide on a length. My fishing buddy has a 6 foot St. Croix, 3 wt which makes small fish look big, LOL.
    My question is, rod maker aside, will a 6, 7 or 8 foot rod rated for the same line weight, say 3 wt have the same feel,thats to say will the 8 foot rod be as sensitive as the 6 foot rod.
    thanks
    Mike

The only thing I find that longer rods to is allow you to cast a bit further. This being said my 6fy 3wt cast nice but I can get 20 more feet out of my 8ft 3wt granted they are different brands. Also the longer rod is a bit better if there is some wind.

I found that the longer rod makes it easier when stalking fish in small clear creeks to stay back out of sight and reach out and drop a fly in the water.

Rocky

Newfoundlander:

Different length rods in the same line weight can be VERY different in action and feel; even within the same maker and rod line. Go cast as many different lengths as possible to find the feel you like.

Without getting into a boring diatribe about makers and preferences; if I was you I'd settle on a length based on the conditions you expect where you plan to use the rod.

If you fish the same waters now with a heavier line weight rod; your 2-3wt rod should be the same length if it works for you.

Good luck

I also like a longer rod because it is easier to mend my line or reach over a fast current to a slower current. I would go with a 7.5 or 8 foot. 6 foot just feels too short and stiff for me.

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:ffb67]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:ffb67]

Well the only reason im asking is there is a spot we go where the brookies are consistantly 11 to 13 inches in size, his 6 ft 3 wt rod seems to make the fight bigger, i was just wondering more or less was it the rod or the line weight that was the biggest reason for this. His rod buckles under the pressure and it looks like a grand bit of fun. I'm just wondering would a longer rod with the same line weight buckle and react the same way or is the reason for the big play the small rod.
    thanks
    a bunch
    Mike

Actually, a shorter rod gives the angler greater leverage. An 8 ft rod exactly the same as yiur friend's 6-footer might be too limber to handle the fish efficiently.

I have rods down to a 61/2 3 wt, but I almost always use a longer rod so I can sneak up behind rocks and dap more effectively and hold more line off the water.

Blog Entries

I dont know the answer cause I only have a 5 wt , but it seems to me if you stayed with the longer rod and got a 2wt instead of a 3wt , you would have the advantages the longer rod and the kind of fight with the fish you are looking for .
    Of course I could be wrong , seems unlikely ,but I suppose it could happen .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

thanks for all the help
    later
    Mike

I prefer my 6.5' 2 weight in brushy conditions. It's easier to manipulate during a fight than a longer rod.

+ Reply to Thread