Hello all. I haven't fished much the last couple of years. Well....actually in the last 1/2 century. Anyway...went to the trout creek with NEW neighbors and their grandkids. I took along an 11' 6wt that I like a whole bunch. Have fished it there before and from a pontoon tube. This day had far too long a rod, far too long a leader and way too much wind. Absolutely horrible. Absolutely impossible to fly fish with that set up.

It made me wonder, because I will get wind every day up here sometime during the day fishing. I wondered what would be a good set up for windy conditions. I am not going to fish in a hurricane...but on the other hand....have times when I wish had a more appropriate rod, when the wind comes up...either at the stream or even out on the lake.

It is pretty apparent to me a short stiff rod with a lot of power in the butt section. Perhaps a 6' 7wt? Or...a 6' 3wt. The smaller diameter of the 3wt will have less resistance to the wind. But....the heavier 7wt line would have a lot of power behind it to plow through the wind.

So my question is...what is a good rod weight/length set up? Short stiff and heavy line or short stiff and light line?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gemrod