+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 wt. Sage VT-2 Reel

Hybrid View

Default 4 wt. Sage VT-2 Reel

Looking for a reel for Sage VT-2 , 9' 4 wt. I have been looking at the Orvis BBS 2 but not sure if this reel would complement this rod. I like the reel but need a little help in making sure I will be happy in my choice.

Thank you

Rambo,

I'm not certain what your criteria are for "complementing" the rod. I can say the BBS II is my first choice for my rods in 3 - 5 wt. in lengths from 7' 6" to 9'. You could make far worse choices. You can also find reels equal in many respects to the BBS series, but I personnal like them so I'd recommend it as a very good choice for your rod. I'm sure others have opinions so stand by, I expect you'll get a few other recommendations.
    Joe Bertolini

Rambo -

I'm with Joe on the BBS II. Definitely one of the best values that I've seen, considering appearance, quality of the material and workmanship, function, and price. I've got one for my 3 weights but it doesn't get much use only because I got a great deal on an Abel TR1 when Abel closed that model out a couple years ago.

John
    The fish are always right.

I purchased a BBSII for my sage FLi 480-4. It's a great reel at a great price (around $100). Abel reintroduced the TR series which is nearly identical to the Creek series. While the BBSII does not have the build quality of the Abels, they are still a great reel for the price and I love the smaller diameter. I love my Abel TR and Creek, but they are overkill for a 4wt. You won't be dissappointed with the Orvis.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have that same rod and I run a Ross Rhythm 2 and a Sage 1830, off of it. They both balance it, extremely well. The 1830 sells for around $130-$140. I was really impressed with how smooth it is.

+ Reply to Thread