Joey and I returned from Montana late Saturday night after spending 9 nights camping at the Slide Inn. The water was still running a little high and off color but it was fishing well. We decided to take a trip to Wade and Cliff lakes for some pontoon fishing. It was windy but blowing towards the truck. We managed a few fish but the action was not hot. Joey hooked a few 16" bows towing a size 2 bunny leach, while I hooked a few 12" fish on the traditional #10 bugger. Those little fish sure took the air when hooked. We fished Cliff one more evening with similar results except the wind was blowing away from the truck.
[img]

We were trying to give the Madison some time to settle down a bit by fishing the Cliff Lake and we also spent the day fishing between the lakes (Hebgen and Quake Lakes). We had a great day as far as catching numbers were concerned. Joey and I both had double digit numbers except they were all White fish. The water level was very wade friendly but we did not catch any trout. I did hook a nice Rainbow who spit the hook.

We decided it was time to fish the Madison below Quake Lake and with some nice back channels behind the Slide Inn.

I forgot to mention that when we arrived we had to wait for a storm to pass to set up camp. Well when we did get camp set up something got into our tent and had its way with Joey biting him on eye, hand, arm and back. He had a similar reaction as I did last year. We tried Benedryl for a day and half before heading to the Clinic in Ennis. They gave him a few shots and he was back to normal in a day or two. He never let his reaction get in the way of his fishing.

Will continue on next reply