+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "bargain rod"

Default "bargain rod"

Yesterday I went to the Bass Pro Shop to get a new flat tube and found what I thought was a real bargain on a 2 piece fly rod, so needless to say I came home with a float tube and a new rod. Here's the problem, the rod was assembled at the store and I can't get it apart. I'm scared to try using heat or lubricants for fear it will damage the rod. Any suggestions?

For starters....

Two people....I've found it more effective at times than the...

Hands behind the knee thing...try this first though if no one is around.

Blog Entries

The hands behind the knee thing, took a rod that was together for at least thirty years apart for me.

sit forward on the edge of a kitchen chair with your legs together put the rod on the floor under your legs.

Bend forward pick up the rod with each hand as close to the stuck section as you can, bring the rod up under your legs and while holding on to the sections start gradualy opening up your legs. I had to use sections of inner tube to get a good grasp on the rod.

The pressure put against your arms with your legs may put enough pressure on the rod to take it apart. if not is should not twist or bend the rod the way two people can and hopefully wont break it if done right.

Good Luck

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Or ... if you're close to the store ... take it back and let them get it apart. If it breaks, they owe you a new rod. If it doesn't, lube up the ferrules, and go fishing!!

And! Welcome to FAOL!! Home of the best fly fishing site EVER!! and information you never knew you needed, but will find a use for!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Smile

Im surprised that you walked out of the store with the rod assembled--could it be they couldn't get apart either???? BILL

I'm more curious on how you got it home.
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by jmh427 View Post
    Yesterday I went to the Bass Pro Shop to get a new flat tube and found what I thought was a real bargain on a 2 piece fly rod, so needless to say I came home with a float tube and a new rod. Here's the problem, the rod was assembled at the store and I can't get it apart. I'm scared to try using heat or lubricants for fear it will damage the rod. Any suggestions?
    I like the idea of using the sections of inner tube to increase the grip against the rod. I use those rubber things banks used to give away to open jars if i have a rod that doesn't want to come apart. I find ussually that it isn't the rod but the lack of friction ones hands can apply to the blank that prevents the rod from coming apart. In fact I carry one of the "jar openers in my glove box just in case a rod gets stubborn while I'm out fishing. Hope this helps. rel

Thanks for all of your comments, I would never have thought to use my legs as leverage.I'll try it tonight and let you know if works tomorrow.
    Again thanks to everyone on FAOL I've gained more information from this site than I could from several years of trial and error.

Default You probably know jmh...but...

...in the future waxing, any solid wax is fine, will allow easier
    separation, but you'll probably still need to use the rod behind the knees technique.
    nam

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

jmh427;
    Welcome to the board. Remember to twist just a little as you pull, and after you have waxed the male end, twist one quarter turn to put it back together.

+ Reply to Thread