+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attending a Fish-In

Hybrid View

Default Attending a Fish-In

What is keeping you from attending a Fish-In? Fuel costs certainly but aside from that what else? (You can offset fuel cost by car pooling)
    Cost of accomodations can be a big factor also but doubling up for a motel room or camping can cut the cost.

Are you concerned (intimidated) about being "Up Among" a bunch of flyfishing hot dogs that can cast 100' with ease, catch the most fish, catch the biggest fish, all loaded down with $1000.00 rods and gear to match? Nothing could be further from the truth!

rst & Scubatim will be writing reports of their "First Fish-In" and I'm quite sure that they will tell the story of a grand experiance. I hope that the tales they tell will encourage more members to attend a Fish-In!

Shorthaul and Roberts618 should chime in too.

The 'Scouts' are far more organized than we are,,, plus they have adult leadership!

I went to the fish-in with the intention of meeting the people that are just names and expressions on a computer. I had been going to Gates Ausable Lodge since the late 70's so I felt right at home with the accomodations and ive even stayed in #8 before---lol. I also went with the intent that i could help anyone with sections of the river since ive fished everything from louie's to wakely bridge many times. Catching was secondary to meeting the people and sharing the experiences others have had in this sport---a breakfast with JC and LF just before I went home was a great ending to the 4 days that i could spend there---seeing Deb and HRM Betty cast in the distance game was very impressive (we can move the purple martin house next time)---Bill and Bev Desavage made me feel right at home on my first day---awesome cookies! ---Joe's(funny guy) breads are great even after 4 days and the dinner by kaboom and staff was fantastic.I only wish that i could have spent more time and fished with Jack Hise and Rst Bob and Rainbowchaser Jim---hopefully after Tom gets back he and some of the island nation guys can get out and stock up on some yellow perch this fall---open invite to any that want to come.
    Intimidated---not me---my waders leaked---i used a 20 yr old Loomis Imx most of the time---my wading shoes were new cuz my last pair delaminated the last time out---It was great fun with regular people --I was happy to be a part of the experience.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Talking Look out 2009 "The Island Nation" will Be There in Force

OK! OK! OK! So I had to stay home and guard the "Fudge Recipe"(no) well OK. I had some personal obligations with my Doctor. But the O-fly Crew will be there in 2009! along with the rest of the "Ohio Nation" Mikey I think we need to set up "Camp Ohio" next year
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Jack, Attending a Fish In is easy for retirees but there are factors other than financial that affect attendance for some others however. Work schedules, family vacations etc. Even, as am I, the self employed may have , as did I, some last minute commitments that could not be compromised. I/we have been to seven such Fish-Ins, met some nice folks and shared a few laughs. I strongly urge those who can swing it, to attend. They're fun and some of us even fish

Mark

This year, unfortunately, we won't be going to the Idaho F-I. And, dollars is the main reason. $4.00+ a gallon is one reason. Lack of vacation time is another. The cost of keeping our pets while we are gone is another. The cost of accomidations is another. Each one alone is not enough to keep us from attending, but when you add them all together, it's more than our budget can handle. We were planning on using our "Incentive Checks" to pay for it, but because I don't wade too well anymore, and lake fishing would offer more local opportunities, I bought a pontoon boat and I've discovered a couple of beautiful lakes within a few miles of home. I'm re-learning how to fish lakes and it's being BIG TIME fun. I'm fishing for rainbows, german browns, cuttbows and westslope cutthroat. All beautiful fish with heart to tug hard. I thought that when my legs started giving out on me that my fishing career was over. I prayed for the ability to wade with the best of them, but it hasn't happened yet. So I started fishing from a pontoon on lakes and have found another thoroughly enjoyable way to fish. I never would have found this way of fishing if God had answered my prayers for better legs. Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers. It's curious sometimes how He looks after us.
    C'yall on the lakes,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Jack -

I am working on my write-up and should have it completed soon. I could fill pages, but would probably turn off the impatient reader with my long dribble, so will try to keep it as short as possible.

The Fish-In experience was a great one, and it was due to folks like you, and all the rest who are like themselves; if that makes any sense.

BTW - did I tell you that your furled leaders worked great? If not I meant to.

Later,
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

Thumbs up Fishin

This year the Idaho Fishin will be my first. Won't get there until Monday because of a Memorial to fallen firefighters in Colorado Springs on the 20th of Sept. Have a cousin on the wife's side that was killed in Los Angeles last March and he will be recognized at that service.

However,,,,, Monday afternoon-evening, the WYO-BLIZZARD will appear in IDAHO!!!!!!
    Wyo-Blizzard

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Jack you make a good point. It was not money or time that kept me from the 2005 fish in but just the very reasons you outlined.

Quote: being "Up Among" a bunch of flyfishing hot dogs that can cast 100' with ease, catch the most fish, catch the biggest fish, all loaded down with $1000.00 rods and gear to match? "

My fears exactly!

I think it was in September 2005 that I mentioned to Al Campbell in a PM that that was why I hadn't gone to Idaho. He eased my fears such that I promised to go to the 2006 Idaho fish. He was going to show me how to tie a fly when I got there. He was sure the fly would catch me some fish . Sadly Al passed away before the 2006 fish in. I went to Idaho partially because of that promise.
    Everyone whom I met were friendly and helpful. Several offered to take me out and show me the area and the two rivers. I was helped with my cast by some very knowledgeable people. No pressure at any time.
    I had a ball. It was just like camping with my family. We all had a very good time. I was very happy that I had gone.

I missed my chance the year before to meet Al in person, I have always regretted that.

Plus you get to meet superman. Although if you approach him with a green glowing flyrod he will fly off unexpectedly.

I am now in the same boat as LowtecJoe with badly behaving knees. I too have bought a pontoon boat and am fishing the lakes with great success. Lowell may be too much for me now but The Central washington fish in is still on my list. I can use my toon or my boat at the lakes around Ephrata and Rocky ford has some level ground I can fish from.

Jack is right about ways to save cash. The first year at lowell my motel bill was $500.00 or so. Last year I slept in the back of my truck under the canopy for about $125.00 and was fine. If I skipped the $800.00 bux I dropped at Cabellas and Sportsmans wearhouse mostly for stuff I really didn't need and spent it on gas I would be way ahead. At Ephrata I spent less than $90 for camping fees instead of staying in a motel for $350.00

Of course if I win next weeks lottery this post will become moot.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 07-14-2008 at 02:50 AM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Jack I am working on it. I am to long winded. Scaling it down and get it off to JC for approval in the next few days.
    Remember we all live down stream

+ Reply to Thread