+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carp info

Default Carp info

I would like to start targeting carp on the fly. Here's the question; what times of the day do carp feed? I went out today thinking they would feed during mid-day, and i didn't see one, also what's the best flies to use? I was out last night right before dark and saw one tailing, tried to get a fly on and by the time I tied the fly on he was gone. Now I also know that when the silt cloud stirred up it could be a carp.

For me, it is anytime. In my river they are stacked up big time in the grass.
    Flies, I like the Carp Hex, Bead Head Prince, Haresear, and my favorite, Popcorn ball.

Welcome to the dark side. More than I could ever write in a paragraph or two. Listen to it on your IPod or listen to it on your computer: http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/sp.../brad/brad.cfm

THEE BOOK: http://www.amazon.com/Carp-Fly-Flyfi.../dp/1555661866

I always do better early AM than any other time of the day.

The real best time to go fishing is "when you can"

Clouser swimming nymph or bead head bugger.

Good luck,

Rick

That is an awesome book. I almost bought it when I had a chance at 1/2 price. Not sure why I didn't.
    Lance Egan is a good friend and known Carpaholic. He taught me allot and the rest was first time lucky. I bought a bunch of Carp Specialty flies to find out two kick a$$ and one was a go to fly any time.
    I am going to say, keep trying. You really don't have to be technical. When you find the right fly you will know it.
    I went with the Carp Hex cause there were a ton of big Dragon flies and I thought it would be a great nymph pattern. It was. The popcorn ball is because this is an Urban river where people throw food in for the duck and fish.
    I have even caught one on a #16 BWO.

Default All day & a lesson learned

I have caught Carp morning-noon-and night. In slower, deeper water, look for the mud puffs and try to determine which way the fish is moving and cast ahead of that.

Friday I was fishing in a Wildlife Area in a very shallow pond. It was 3pm and sunny and hot. The Carp were feeding like crazy. I did manage to hook a few, but they would launch themselves into the thick shore weeds and I literally staightened hooks trying to get them out. I was using a black Lil Bugger because it was extremely muddy. I watched one fish turn 90 degrees and bull rush my fly about 8" away - very cool.

I almost didn't get the chance to write this posting. I got stuck over the ankles in mud that wasn't going to let go, and I could feel myself sinking deeper. I had visions of someone finding my insect riddled body a year from now. I tossed my rod up into the grass and reached down beside one shoe to allow some air in and break the suction. I was able to do that and get that foot onto some "solid" ground. That allowed me to work the other foot loose. I have to say that I was scared manure-less.
    Last edited by raw69; 07-14-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Oh my, I thought I warned you about that southern shore...know exactly where you were...yup, you described it to the tee..launch the rod, slap the hands and wriggle out.

Yup, those carp nail a fly and run the weeds.

Also, DO NOT go near there if we get a dry spell like last summer...I was over the thigh.

For me, a trout angler, learning how to carp fish has been an interesting adventure. The following is just what has worked for me and there are many ways to catch a fish. I sight fish 100% of the time, anything else has been a total waste of time for me. Just because I say sight, that doesn't mean that I have to see the whole fish or even a fish. Like Raw said in his post, sometimes it is just a puft of silt that I target. My best targets, or the most successful targets are tailers. Fish with their head down and tail up feeding are the most receptive to my presentations.

The fly has to be within inches of the fish's nose, not feet. Trout will chase something down or move several feet and follow. I haven't found this to be the case. Depends on water clairity, but even in very clear water 10" would be a long move for a carp and 4 to 6" is more normal. Put the fly on their nose or off to one side within a 45 degree angle of their nose. This is in their sight window.

Presentation. The best way that I have found to consistantly put the fly where it needs to be is to be close to the fish. Yes, I can and do cast 50+ feet to trout when I need to, but carp I prefer to cast less than 15'. Most of the time the presentation is more like using a cane pole and I put the fly exactly where I need it to be.

Hook set is much different as well. Of the 50 + fish that I have had in the net this year so far, I can say that I felt or saw the line move to indicate a bite on TWO fish. If you are a trout guy or even a bluegill or bass guy and are waiting for a bite to tug your line, you will be waiting a long time. Most of the time, I watch the fish. I put the bait in front of a tailer that is moving and see the body posture change. If the fish is moving a few feet and is horizontal in the water then drops his head and the tail goes up, I count to two and set the hook. I've seen them take the fly by watching their lips in clearer water.

To recap:

Fish to a specific fish.

Put the fly where it needs to be

Learn to set the hook on sight and not by watching the line or feeling a bite.

Again, these techniques work for me in my type of water. I am sure that there are many other ways to fish for carp on the fly.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    For me, a trout angler, learning how to carp fish has been an interesting adventure. The following is just what has worked for me and there are many ways to catch a fish. I sight fish 100% of the time, anything else has been a total waste of time for me. Just because I say sight, that doesn't mean that I have to see the whole fish or even a fish. Like Raw said in his post, sometimes it is just a puft of silt that I target. My best targets, or the most successful targets are tailers. Fish with their head down and tail up feeding are the most receptive to my presentations.

The fly has to be within inches of the fish's nose, not feet. Trout will chase something down or move several feet and follow. I haven't found this to be the case. Depends on water clairity, but even in very clear water 10" would be a long move for a carp and 4 to 6" is more normal. Put the fly on their nose or off to one side within a 45 degree angle of their nose. This is in their sight window.

Presentation. The best way that I have found to consistantly put the fly where it needs to be is to be close to the fish. Yes, I can and do cast 50+ feet to trout when I need to, but carp I prefer to cast less than 15'. Most of the time the presentation is more like using a cane pole and I put the fly exactly where I need it to be.

Hook set is much different as well. Of the 50 + fish that I have had in the net this year so far, I can say that I felt or saw the line move to indicate a bite on TWO fish. If you are a trout guy or even a bluegill or bass guy and are waiting for a bite to tug your line, you will be waiting a long time. Most of the time, I watch the fish. I put the bait in front of a tailer that is moving and see the body posture change. If the fish is moving a few feet and is horizontal in the water then drops his head and the tail goes up, I count to two and set the hook. I've seen them take the fly by watching their lips in clearer water.

To recap:

Fish to a specific fish.

Put the fly where it needs to be

Learn to set the hook on sight and not by watching the line or feeling a bite.

Again, these techniques work for me in my type of water. I am sure that there are many other ways to fish for carp on the fly.

Rick

That pretty much covers it Rick. Good job.

+ Reply to Thread