+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carp info

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    RAW, the Highbanks area of he 'Tangy is GREAT Carp water...many ops for site fishing and they occasionaly blow up out of the rocks and grab whatever comes by...this is the only place I have seen Carp act this way.
    Those 'tangy carp give me heart attacks. I've been wading several times, and have had unseen ones go airborne a few feet away when I spooked 'em (I mean, really, would they be the perfect game fish if they jumped when they were hooked (not that they aren't at the top of my list now)?)

I had one of those 'tangy fish stalk my line/leader connection as well, wish he would have been back 7 or 8 feet to see my fly. Of course, he got about a foot from me, and jumped a couple feet out of the water (I wish I had been ready for that, I could have reached out and caught him)

brhoff, if you don't mind, what's your go-to fly for that river? I pretty much stick to olive woolly buggers with a bit of krystal flash for the lower visibility, but I've been thinking about trying some other patterns.

jsalkas,

generally on the 'tangy...a black over black or brown over tan lil' bugger in size 8 or 10.

I have found the 'tangy to be a VERY rock specific river and the lil' buggers bounce and dance through the rocks like nothing else I have found.

RAW69 really knows the 'tangy as well and between him and Jim at MRO they are credited with teaching me pretty much all I know about the river though I have never fished with either of them!

BTW, the 'tangy carp WILL jump at timeswhen hooked...the one that did the barrell roll into the downed tree pile made me think of John Belushi in his Anminal House roll...if he were to have played a fish.

In addtion to the lil' buggers, I have done very well with 10-12 size nymphs and for some reason have never done well on larger streamers, probably becasue I mostly wade in low water conditions.

I had one Porpusing like flipper. About 5 times...wished I had had a movie camera. I have never seen that before.

Blog Entries

Here in North Texas the guys who target carp have had good success by getting out on the hot summer flat, wading in knee deep water at best, looking for carp up rooting around in the weeds. The key, I am told, is to stalk up and delicately drop a weighted nymph right in front of them whilst they feed. Then it's on!

Here is a website devoted to the subject in this area

http://www.trashonthefly.com

Nice to see a great carp conversation! Lots of good links and info here, I don't have much to add other than carp feed pretty much throughout the day and night. They can turn virtually anything in the water into calories. Basically, they are such efficient eaters that you never know what, when or how they will be feeding. As mentioned, tailers are the best targets, followed closely by the slow cruisers.

Good luck, I hope you get into some fish...but word of warning...it can be addictive. I used to be a respectable trout/salmon/steelhead fly angler...

John Montana
    http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Nice to see a great carp conversation! Lots of good links and info here, I don't have much to add other than carp feed pretty much throughout the day and night. They can turn virtually anything in the water into calories. Basically, they are such efficient eaters that you never know what, when or how they will be feeding. As mentioned, tailers are the best targets, followed closely by the slow cruisers.

Good luck, I hope you get into some fish...but word of warning...it can be addictive. I used to be a respectable trout/salmon/steelhead fly angler...

John Montana
    http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/
    John, nice to see you post here. I hope that this is a trend. Anyone interested in carp should visit John's blogs. He was also mentioned in a recent FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers) publication which featured carp fishing. When John talks you should listen, he's been there and done that.

I see that you have made a few other posts here, but again, I hope to see more of your contributions. How about a couple shots, you know, eye candy that everyone loves?

Rick

Thanks clay, you are being too kind though. I am still figuring out this carp thing, and having a blast doing that!

22lber from earlier this spring. Really colorful fish.

YOWZAH! Nice Buglemouth Bass!!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I look forward to breaking the 20 lb barrier one day. So far I haven't been close. I carry a scale in the back of the vest in a plastic bag. Very nice fish John. Nice photo to remember your trophy as well.

Rick

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning John.
    Thats a mighty nice 'mud shark' your holding there !

What weight rod did you capture him on ?

AND..... do you people over there release 'mud sharks' or kill them, because here in this country everybody kills as many as possible due to the fact that they wreck the rivers and streams.

Kind regards,
    UB
    PS, also a mud shark hunter on fly.

+ Reply to Thread