+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Hot To Fish?

I actually tend toward the snowy pics. At least then I know I should have the river mostly to myself. I tend to be more warm blooded anyway.

The hardest thing is keeping the guides from icing up. Better than having to worry about crowds, IMHO.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Blog Entries

Spin, it was 101 here Friday. I will take the snow pics, thank you.

Then again, it's hard to hopper fish in the winter.

Dennis

It feels good just looking at those pictures. I think I'll folow Eight Thumbs lead and use one as my desktop. For those of us in 95 degree temp's, I gues it's either wet wade or float tube to stay cool - or tie flies.

DG, 101 degrees in Colorado! A friend of mine just returned from Colorado where they weathered sleet as they caught trout in one of those pristine mountain lakes. It's a seven hour hike, but I'm starting to think its worth it after enduring the Texas heat and seeing Spinners pictures.

Thanks Spinner
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Love the shots as well. It must be hard to organize that many pictures and find the one that you are looking for when you want it.

On the "too hot to fish subject", what are the water temps? I know that there are certain times of the year best to leave the trout alone. I was wondering if you fished the spring creeks at this time of year to have a cooler water source than some of the other streams? I would also think that it would be better to fish the head waters instead of the tail water sections since the head water, water temps would be lower. Then again, I could be all wet and sometimes, I usually am.

Rick

Tracy,
    I finally moved back to CO last year (after being gone for 10 years) from DFW. Colorado can get plenty hot for me (plus there's always respite at elevation), and I so enjoy actually having F O U R distinct seasons.

Ask me how much I miss TX... (I'll let you guess)
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Rick, It's not the water temp's in Texas that are too hot. It's the air temp's that are keeping this wimpy angler in his air conditioned home. As for trout fishing, the water temp's at the two nearest tail waters haven't reached the point of stressing the fish - yet.

CO Flyfisher, I'm not going to ask that question. I'm just going to sit here and enjoy my new desktop wallpaper. Ahhhhh.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Rick, It's not the water temp's in Texas that are too hot. It's the air temp's that are keeping this wimpy angler in his air conditioned home....
    I posted on another board about water temps as a result of this post by Spinner. The responses that I received for local trout streams were that many people feel it is too hot once the stream temps reach 70 F at their peak temp for the day. Many of our streams are spring feed and stay cooler all year. The hot temps get me too, but my biggest negative this time of year is all of the plant growth stream side. I hate all of the weeds. Some poke you yes, but the ones that blister your skin like wild parsnips are the true nasties. Last year I fished through Aug in 5 mm neoprenes. I then bought breathables and ever since, I feel like I am fishing in air conditioning compared to those winter waders.

I prefer winter fishing here as the number of floaters are exaclty...............ZERO!
    I actually had a canoe run right at me and went between me and my fly line this weekend!!!

BUT I will be the first to defend their rights to use our waterways. Being a dirt biker and having land taken (stolen) from us by enviro-nuts I will share the water with anyone that wants to use it! Try SHARING, it's a nice concept! www.sharetrails.org
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Flyfisher View Post
    Tracy,
    I finally moved back to CO last year (after being gone for 10 years) from DFW. Colorado can get plenty hot for me (plus there's always respite at elevation), and I so enjoy actually having F O U R distinct seasons.

Ask me how much I miss TX... (I'll let you guess)
    Texas, I have been informed, has F O U R seasons. They are: Summer, Hurricane, Football, and Deer.

Ed

EdD,

As a native born Texan and lover of the outdoors, I can confirm what you ahve been told. However, allow me to point out that up in central Texas, we get tornados instead of huricanes.
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

+ Reply to Thread