Thread: Are the "BASS" rods really tournament legal?

Threaded View

Default Are the "BASS" rods really tournament legal?

I keep seeing mention to the new "bass" rods being put out lately and I was wondering if they really are tournament legal. I can't find the full regulations for all of the various governing bodies but the few that I found(ABA 2008 Bassmaster weekend series for example) say "Only one casting, spin casting or spinning rod (8 foot maximum length from butt of handle to rod tip) may be used at any one time."

I remember that B.A.S.S. had pretty much the same rule(something about having to cast and retrieve from the reel) but that may have changed with ESPN taking them over(I was a member a bunch of years ago before the switch). Going off of that, the new rods would fit the length requirements but unless you hang a spinning reel under them they would still not be permitted in the tournaments.

Any thoughts (or does someone have a current copy of the rules that may contradict this)? I'm not trying to start an internet argument, I would really like to know if I am mis-interpreting this one because it would suck to see someone try and enter using a fly rod only to be disqualified for illegal equipment(you know someone would complain to the judges after getting outfished).
    Last edited by jklett; 07-12-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: poor grammer