+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listerine......works.

Blog Entries

No need to bathe, just re-apply a thin layer each day and you're good to go!

Haha, you crack me up Paul. The stuff does work, I use the blue. Whatever it is.

I used to use the skin so soft from avon, but it didn't do so well against deer flies. Which is what we have a lot of around here. The only thing I don't like about the listerine is it leaves my skin sticky.

I like it!!
    Shane

Decided to go Crappie Fishing yesterday to a place noted for its mosquitos as well as crappie. Looked in the bathroom closet for some listerine and found that we use a store brand which stated its ingredients were comparable to listerine. So I loaded up a spray bottle with the stuff sold under the Western Family label and took off. I did have the brains to take a can of OFF just in case.

Got to the lake and the mosquitoes were waiting with knife & fork in hand. Grabbed the spray bottle and give my clothes and body a liberal spraying. Boy did I smell good. Apparently the mosquitoes thought so also as I was immediately attacked without mercy.

Out came the OFF and the mosquitoes retreated. The fishing was fairly good and I endeared the good natured ribbing of some other anglers as they didn't think I guy could catch crappie in that stained water with a fly and a flyrod. I had to show them I had a fly on the end of my line & not a jig.

Anyway on the next trip to the store I will buy some real listerine and give it a try and report back.

Tim

Blog Entries

Just an update.

I went out fishing the other morning. Good ol listerine. Was still attacked by deer flies. But only in the spots I didn't hit with the listerine, a spot on my arm, behind my ears and a couple spots on my temples. So, the listerine is good, if you're completely covered it in.

I still carry off just incase. But I shoot for the listerine first.

Let us know how the name brand works out!

Thanks,
    Shane

Default Listerine, Deet, Off and Zen

Well, I think it depends on one's Zen angler level regarding physical (or is all of this astrophysical ?) positioning relative to mosquito hordes. At some Zen angler levels, one would find themselves walking above the biters, yes?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

P.S. Is there a Spam spray
    or mouth wash ?

Blog Entries

I am not Zen enough to walk above the mosquitoes. And I am only Zen enough to walk on water when it is REAL cold outside.

Anyone who wants to test the Listerine is welcome to come fish with me on the Grand Mesa here in Colorado. The skeeters are unbelievable in places.

Default Mosquitos, walking on water, etc.

I'm not sure but I don't think even mosquitos would bite one that 'walks on water'.

If it weren't for the 1100+ mile drive, I'd be on my way to Grand Mesa ! Sans Listerine.

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

A reel Zen Angler would not need to drive to traverse the 1,100 miles...

|:^}-ZO[

I was off to the gun range yesterday and there was nothing in the house to use for the bugs except stuff that I usually use for fly fishing with LOTS of deet in it. I didn't want that to affect any of the target guns finishes so I tried some Listerine for the first time as a result of this posting. I didn't get bit once. Thanks for the tip and the firearms still look beautiful.

Bluntly, for fly fishing I'm still a DEET MAN. I don't touch my rod with the back of my hands and I wash the palms of my hands. But for rifle shooting I have to put my check on the comb and I want something on my face and this just might work for me. I have to test it out some more.

Rick

Default Reel Zen, 1100 miles, Colorado...

Ed, I at once thought of that and I have to admit I was tempted to transmutate myself to Grand Mesa to join DG for the Listerine trials, but upon closer introspection I decided it would be hazardous to do so that close to the flyway...in other words, I'd prolly become poached !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread