+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Listerine......works.

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Listerine......works.

Hey everyone,

So my wife, tells me the other day to use listerine to keep away the bugs. I called BS and laughed. She said "Fine, don't believe, use the DEET and watch your pretty $100 line melt". So I grabbed the listerine and left. Doubted very much it would work, I took along the BENS. So I covered myself in the mouthwash, put it on very thick. Course, I was sticky, but smelled lovely.

Amazingly, it worked like a charm. Now, you have to be covered in it. But, it works, it's cheap, and it won't melt plastic things. Give it a try. I got the stuff from the dollar store. Was cheap.

So I came home, walked past my wife to put away my gear and she said "So you used it! Told you!" I replied with "Yep, and I was eaten alive." She grinned, as I didn't have a single bite on me haha.

Thought I'd share,
    Shane

Blog Entries

Talking

My Mom dipped me in a vat of vicks when I was a kid. So today I am impervious to insect bites except for my right heel. Which is what she held me by during the dipping process.

Tis only while in Paris that I seem to get bitten by hoards of bugs on my heel. Odd huh?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

We've been doing the Listerine thing for some time now. I put it in a spritz bottle and spray around the camp site (and in the camper, too). Everybody and everything smells like Listerine but no bugs!

Dale

Which version of Listerine might that be? Do we need a poll? Do I see an upcoming article - "Dollar Stores and Fly Fishing: Can They Co-exist?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer View Post
    My Mom dipped me in a vat of vicks when I was a kid. So today I am impervious to insect bites except for my right heel. Which is what she held me by during the dipping process.

Tis only while in Paris that I seem to get bitten by hoards of bugs on my heel. Odd huh?
    Nice. Can we just call you Vicksilles?

OD--interesting. Thanks for sharing, but I can kinda see the bears looking at you like a giant minty-fresh bottle of toothpaste.....
    Leave No Trace

What does it FEEL like. I hate anything on my skin.......sunscreen, even spray repellent.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    What does it FEEL like. I hate anything on my skin.......sunscreen, even spray repellent.

After it dries I can't even detect any stickyness ... but smell like Listerine! More so with the clothes. I was over here on the river the other day going after some bream and the gnats were terrible. Simply sprayed my wide brimed cotton fishing hat, a tad around my shoulders (some getting on my face I'm sure), but nary a gnat bothered me after that.

Thats very funny. I can just imagine walking in to a restraunt after fishing and having everyone staring at you. Haha. That's good to know though. I am going to use that on my next outing.

+ Reply to Thread