Fished the Truckee River yesterday just below its confluence with the Little Truckee down from Boca Reservoir for a couple hours after getting skunked on the Little Truckee. The big forest fires down in Butte County and the Big Sur were sending a LOT of smoke into this part of the Sierras, just east of Truckee.

Earlier in the day, just a few miles away on the Little Truckee, the air quality was pretty good.

By 5:00 p.m. the sky had darkened considerably, and the sunlight filtered to a reddish tinge.

The sun a bit after 5:00.

Before I started, I had the opportunity to talk to a local fellow who fishes this stretch of the river regularly. Over several hours in the late morning to early afternoon, he had landed eight trout, a mix of bows and browns, and figured he had missed that many again, fishing mostly a prince nymph. Since he was taking a lunch break and was undecided about where he was going to fish after his break, I just headed down to the river.

In a couple hours, fishing a size 18 two tone olive and black copper john, I caught three fish - two small rainbows and one that I lost just as I got him close. The little guys were in the 6-8" bracket and the bigger one went about 13".

The Truckee certainly does look like an interesting river to fish from Truckee down to the Nevada stateline. Great variety of water, and most of it just looks like trout. The short section that I could cover in a couple hours was a mix of deep riffles and bouldered pocket water, with a couple pretty good holes. Didn't feel like I was getting dialed into this kind of fishing very well, but was happy to end the day without being totally skunked.