Yeah, it DOES actually happen, contrary to popular belief.............. "flybinder's left speechless".
In fact, the last time I was, is when I saw that picture of Ohio Tuber in his cowboy boots and red Speedo, but we won't go there, for the sake of you with weak stomachs.
However, in the mail, today I was again "left speechless", when opening an envelope sent to me by Julia-Oven God-Photdough Guru-Valencic.
Inside, was an FAOL hat, two, very strange pieces of "hat lighting" equipment and several pins adorning the hat.

But, this was NOT, your "run of the mill, bought from HRH Betty, FAOL hat".
This one, was signed by so many of my friends, here on FAOL I haven't counted them all yet,(but I HAVE, read each and every one of them already!)/

I was planning on attending the MIFI, this year. Many plans had been made in advance and things were laid out for the trip down to the nth degree. But, as luck would have it, and my current illness problems changed, I had to cancel the trip a few days before scheduled departure.

Now, this hat arrives, with the signatures written all over it, of those I was planning on, and dying to meet, had I made the trip.
If I dare list all the names that are on this hat, and yet forget JUST ONE, I'd forever feel terrible for accidentally omitting that one person, so since they know who they are, I'll leave it at that.

But, JC, Lady Fisher, HRH Betty, a weird Ohioian and others, have made this hat and above all, the meaning behind this hat, the reason I'm left a bit more than speechless.

I fish, very frequently with my friend and next door neighbor, Henry Hoffman. I've "broken bread" with Lee and Joan Wulff. John Geirach personally just sent me a copy of his latest book, "Fool's Paradise". Dave Hughes is a fellow club member of mine, and I just had lunch with Alec Jackson, last week.
So? Why mention this? Those that know me, KNOW that I don't hold ANY person in this sport above any other. I don't have any "heroes" or "look up tos". In 30+ years of fly fishing I've YET to meet my first "expert" in fly fishing. I'm "more impressed", by anyone that can walk and chew gum at the same time, than I've ever been with someone that can throw an entire fly line. "A Proffesional Fly Fisher" I feel only has a "Proffesional Ego", nothing more.
But, to me, getting this hat............... the signatures that are on it and the REASON it was sent to me, at all...... makes it a far, far, greater treasure to me, a more lasting memory of friends that I've acquired in this sport, than all of those, listed above, combined.

I thank, each and every person that signed the hat. I thank every one of you, that didn't attend the fishin,who didn't sign the hat, who I stiil call "my friend" on the same level.

And, with that, since I'm supposed to be "Speechless", I'll shut up now.