+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly line weight

1. Default Fly line weight

I have several fly lines of which I do not know the weight. I have pretty much figured what they are by casting them on various size rods. However I would like to be sure. Is there a standard weight, or range a specific fly line should weigh if the entire line is placed on a quality small scale?. Ex: a 3 wt should weigh ?; Thanks. tc

Just weigh the first 30 feet in grains. Then go here http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/choose-line-home.html Scroll down to the chart at the bottom.

Terry,

Been there and done that!!....I had plenty of reels loaded with line that when I put it on the reels, I told myself I would remember what line size it was! Yea, right!!!

I bought an Umpqua fly line scale for around $20. You weight the first 30 feet of fly line and you will know exactly what line weight you have. The fly line scale is imprinted on the unit. Very compact and easy to use. Once I knew what size the fly lines were, I used a black marker and marked on the fly line what size it was. I came up from the end of the fly line about 10 inches and put a series of black dots to designate the line size. 3 dots = 3wt, 4 dots=4 wt, etc.

I would highly recommend the Umpqua fly line scale to everyone. It sure makes life easier!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Same process here with the Umpqua line scale. But since I use lines 2wt through 15wt I use a short mark for ones, and a longer one for fives. So a 4wt is four short marks, a 7wt is a long mark and two short ones, a 12wt is two long and two short and so on.

5. Default Thanks for fly line weight information

Thanks to those of you who gave excellent advice on how to determine correct fly line weight. Thank you. tc

Default line weighting reminder.

Just a reminder guys, it's the first 30' of line but not including the taper. So you don't want any of the tepered section on the scale.
    Check with your significant other you may already own a good kitchen scale that weighs in grains.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread