+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your garden

Hybrid View

Default Tell us about your garden

It's mid garden season
    A few years back, I had 1k sq.ft. under cultivation. Nowadaze I'm down to 6 6X4 raised beds
    Garden and fishing seasons ran together too much so......priorities, ya know?

The July 4 weekend is reevaluation time. Time for planting for the fall.
    I had a lot of turnips in, not so much for the roots, but for the greens
    They're all in the freezer, replaced by carrots and collards.
    Swiss Chard is a staple at our house and it is the first in, last out..never bolts. Any extra space goes to more swiss chard
    The tomatoes are doing great, knock on wood. There's just a couple of zucchini plants, plus leaf lettuce, a couple kinds of peppers, cauliflower, wax beans, basil, garlic...
    How's your's doin' ?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

We have an 8' x 10' raised bed garden with three tomato plants (almost 5' tall), three sweet banana pepper plants, and two rows of green beans. All is well and growing well. Fruit are on the peppers and tomatoes, and the beans should be coming in the next week or so...lots of flowers on all the plants. We will have all of our needs met from this small garden, and will share much of the harvest with friends who cannot put in a garden due to age or poor health.

Had a huge hatch of Japanese beetles while I was at the Fish-In, but Mama attacked the little buggers by dusting all the plants, and chased the little buggers off before they could do any damage. She also dusted all the plants on the deck and there are hundreds of dead beetles laying around. The dust worked!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

It is 38 X 52 feet. All of the stuff is slow this year due to the incredible amount of rain we have had. tomatoes and peppers are just starting to bloom. Beans (purple color) are just starting to set beans.
    Swiss hard is doing OK. Spinach and Radishes went to see right off. Still a little lettuce left. Squash is coming on, Had to replant ccumbers as the seeds in the package were wrong.

But the 37 tomatoe plants and 35 pepper plants should start putting on soon.
    Also alot of dill inthe garden as the smell of that masksk everytnhing else and keeps the deer away.

Rick

I've got 3 beds that are 4x12. One is my herb bed with rosemary, basil, dill, thyme, sage, lavender and chives. One with veges, green beans, zucchini, carrots, peppers and tomatoes. The last bed is cutting flowers for around the house.

1/2 acre in various veggies.
    1/3 acre in cut flowers.
    1/2 acre in future use landscape plants.
    1 acre in future use landscape tree starts.
    2/3 acre in young pear, apple, plum and cherry trees.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

flybinder, are you growing organic? we did when i lived in oregon. the climate there is so much easier to grow organic in than here in mississippi. post some pics if you have any!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Wink

I have 15, 4 gallon pots with tomatoes of various types, 10, half whiskey barrels with carrots, onions, lettuce, and cabbage, 20 zuchinni plants in the ground, and at least 50 pea plants in hanging baskets. I compost all of my soil, so it is %100 percent organic with all of our vegetable waste from the house, chicken manure from our chicken coop, and horse manure from the pasture. I recylce the dirt from the previous season, and add well composted grass to act as a mulch with the soil. We have 5 tomatoe plants in our greenhouse that sprouted from the composted soil that we dumped the rotten tomatoes in from last season, which was quite the surprise to the wife and I.

I have started to do aquaculture in our fish pond this year too after a trip to Epcot this winter. (Take the "Behind the Seeds" tour at the greenhouse boat ride, it is well worth the time!)I have a 1" thick, 3' X 3" piece of foam with 1" square holes in it. I put a rock wool cude in each hole, and dropped lettuce seeds in them. The foam sits on the pond free floating, and has produced one batch of lettuce already, and I started to second batch two weeks ago. I put rock wool cubes in a 2 gallon pot, and now have 3 tomatoe starts in there that i will need to cull soon. It is an experiment, but it seems to work really well. The fish waste provides all of the nutrients the plants need, and the airiator (spelling?) seems to help both the plants and the fish at the same time. Plus, I NEVER have to water them!

If you get a chance, Epcot has some very, very interesting techniques with hydroponic, aquaculture, and other growing ideas that made the ticket price to the park very worth while.

Nice to see so many others enjoy playing in the dirt as well.

Have fun, Jeff

I have six grape vines, two long rows of herb plants, and that's it. I used to do a lot of pots for tomatoes and peppers, but that's about as much work as having them in the ground because they have to be watered every day. I finally gave it up when I struck a deal with the neighbors. I'll water their garden and hanging baskets while they go to their cabin, I get all the tomatoes I want. Perfect.

Grouse

only have a little space (3'X6') to garden. Have 2 "grape" tomatoes, and 5 large tomatoes, as well as a serrano chile. All tomato plants have produced a few already (BLTs, YUM!) and the serrano has just thrown flowers. I also have 3 volunteer tomato plants from last year (with green fruit) and a few pumpkins starting over from the rotten one we threw out there last fall.

This Sacramento Valley soil is easy....just plant the seeds/seedlings and spit on them. Organic farming at it's best. I turn some organic topsoil in at the start of every season.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Default Garden???

GARDEN???? Who has time for a garden, or should I say, a long enough growing season?

The season is SHORT out here, and the wife and I run around sooo much, we don't even try any more.
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread