+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me buy a new HAT!

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    ahhhhhh the good old days. i sure do miss it there! im glad to hear they have a flyshop in los gatos again. also there is a nice one in los altos...i think it is called the midge fly shop. anyway tyronefly...can you tell me if original joes is back open again in san jose? they were remodeling last summer.
    I did not know they were remodeling. I haven't eatin there in over a year. Some of the best Italian food anywhere. My current assignment keeps me in Fremont a fair distance from downtown San Jose.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

2. Default

There are a couple of issues with the brim of the nylon Tilley hats. It is floppy and prone to folding back or folding down over you eyes (!) when cruising in a motor boat. Also, it does get warped and wrinkled when you pack it. The brim can be difficult to get back into the right shape. Mine has a fashionable dip over my right eye now.

Well, after a lot of looking, I ended up buying a Tilley LMT6 at REI. I gradually narrowed the field, and ended with a Tilley. I needed it right away, so I had to pay full price, but since I bought it at REI, I have Tilley's lifetime warranty, plus REI's return policy should I need it for some reason (plus the small discount since it is a dividendable item).

I wore it while fishing yesterday, and it is far more comfortable than my other (Orvis/Filson) fishing hat. I like that the brim shape is consistant, but I don't like to hear that the edge of the brim can get warped even with the wire inside. I'll have to be careful.

Thanks for all the recommendations!!!

Oh ya - I went to the lower Stanislaus yesterday. Fished below the Tulloch Dam access road and at 2 mile bar. Caught tons of small rainbows at 2 mile (8" and less, lost count after about 25), and only one larger one all day (about 12"). I enjoyed the day, but found myself wishing for bigger fish all day (like I'm used to catching in CO).
    "Engineers don't idle well."

+ Reply to Thread