+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a new HAT!

Hybrid View

Question Help me buy a new HAT!

I am currently traveling, and need a good hat to fish in this weekend. I am looking for something that travels well, breaths well, and has a full brim. I'm pretty wide open to suggestions otherwise, and haven't really done any looking yet, so if you have any ideas or one that you particularly like, please let me know!

I usually wear an old Orvis hat (made by someone else for Orvis, but believe it or not, the Orvis one was cheaper!) which is similar to a cowboy hat and has mesh side panels on the sides of the top part but is otherwise a lot like this one, except it is mostly felt/fabric. The only problem is it doesn't travel well, and if it gets crushed it is a pain to get it right again, so I only take it with me if I'm driving all the way to my destination.

The only other caveat is that I need to be able to buy it locally near Sunnyvale, CA (Southern San Francisco bay area). I plan to go by REI and The California Fly Shop this week to look, but I'm hoping for other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!!
    "Engineers don't idle well."

For my money, the best hat out there is the Tilley hats. I've used mine for over 6 years and it's still as good as new. They are comfortable, well designed and extremely well made. They are guaranteed for life even include a replacement if you loose it (one time only). A story that tells the qualifty of the Tilley hats is that a zoo keeper in Toronto Canada had an elephant snatch his Tilley hat off of his head and eat it. The zoo keep waited for it to show up again, ran it through the wash and it was as good as new. When Tilley approached him about giving him a new hat in exchange for his "newly washed" hat, he said "No thanks, this was the third time the elephant had "recycled" his hat and it was just getting broken in right." . I bought my Tilley LT5 from Binnacle.com in the khaki color and dyed it a mottled olive green. If I ever need to buy another hat it will be the TILLEY HAT - LTM6 AIRFLO which provides ventilation to keep your head a bit cooler. Simply put, Tilley makes great hats.

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    For my money, the best hat out there is the Tilley hats. I've used mine for over 6 years and it's still as good as new. They are comfortable, well designed and extremely well made. They are guaranteed for life even include a replacement if you loose it (one time only). A story that tells the qualifty of the Tilley hats is that a zoo keeper in Toronto Canada had an elephant snatch his Tilley hat off of his head and eat it. The zoo keep waited for it to show up again, ran it through the wash and it was as good as new. When Tilley approached him about giving him a new hat in exchange for his "newly washed" hat, he said "No thanks, this was the third time the elephant had "recycled" his hat and it was just getting broken in right." . I bought my Tilley LT5 from Binnacle.com in the khaki color and dyed it a mottled olive green. If I ever need to buy another hat it will be the TILLEY HAT - LTM6 AIRFLO which provides ventilation to keep your head a bit cooler. Simply put, Tilley makes great hats.

Jim Smith
    YUP!!!

Jeremy. edit..Ausable...NICE hat!!
    Last edited by Jeremy; 07-09-2008 at 03:07 PM.

OK, LOTS of love for the Tilley hats, and I do see why. I went to REI last night and looked at their offerings. They had an in-house branded one for about $30 that wasn't too bad (I think it was their vented explorer hat), but it was a lot heavier than the Tilley LMT6, and an obvious ripoff of the design. I LIKE the LMT6!!!

I didn't make it to the Orvis store (yes, the one in Santana Row, thanks for the info mnklagoon), but will try tonight. Lots of good choices so far, and I do really like the Tilley, but the price does sting a little.

Ausable_NY, that hat looks just like the one I have, and I do think it is made by Filson. I haven't had very good luck with packing it - the mesh doesn't want to come back right.

So, my next question - Can a person get the Tilley hats anywhere for a discounted price? It might not matter since I need it in a few days, but is it even an option?
    Last edited by CO_Flyfisher; 07-09-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

I shopped around to buy my hat and found that Binnacle Marine Supply at Binnacle.com was the cheapest online store I could find. Their price for the TILLEY HAT - LTM6 AIRFLO is $54.95 which is anywhere from $10 to $15 cheaper than the rest. I bought one for my wife as well and they are great folks to do business with.

Jim Smith

Tilly has a hat that breathes, and it is garanteed for life.

Don't get the canvas hat, I have one, and it is great for spring and fall, but during summer it is hot as heck!

Happy hat shopping!

chris

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

For me, it's a regulation wide brim straw hat every time. They do a great job of keepin my bald spot from the sunburn, they're cool and breezy, and they take an occasional dunking just fine. They last one season, maybe one and a half, and they aren't too pricey. ( a good one can usually be found for under twenty bucks, often under ten ) and I enjoy getting a new one each year to start out the summer. The rest of the year I wear a Filson oiled fedora I've had and worn and punished for twenty+ years, it's good as new, well broken in, and looks great after all this time. Too hot in the summer, though.
    ......ModocDan

I like my Tilley LTM6 Airflo. I've had it for several seasons.

Although I wonder..this is wut I'd suggest..
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=18069
    nam

Ask, and ye shall receive! ;o)

One important aspect of shopping for a new hat, at least if you don't want somebody to be borrowing/stealing your new hat, is to think UNIQUE. Chances are, most folks who would otherwise be tempted to crowd you in your favorite fishing spot, might just decide to give you clear berth. What could be better? And, you need a hat anyway, right? Right!

So, in light of such criteria, I've done extensive searching and believe I have found you an excellent selection of hats from which you can choose:

This one is simple, yet functional. Keeps your head cool AND dry!

And who is going to mess with you in THIS hat?

And look how nicely this one would protect the tops of your tender ears!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread