Just returned from a short (too short ) trip to the N. Umpqua. Truly one of the most beautiful rivers anywhere. My son Justin and I spent a couple hours Sat. evening up in th fly area. Several of trout to be had, really enjoyed them. Some in the 10 to 12 in range.
We were both doing best with wets, dark in color and fairlylarge, as there are stoneflies about. Sat. eve we didn't really see a noticeable hatch, and not much rising was going on.
Sun. we got a late start after lounging and hanging at the lodge till nearly noon. Fished through the heat of the day at Whistler's bend on our way back home. Lots of families there playin in the water....... Same there, several nice trout. sighted several Steelhead, but couldn't spark their interest. Justin had one take from a Steelhead, but only had him long enough to get his knees shakin.
As usual we do well with Zugs and Payette Specials. Often as droppers from EHC's.
Justin used his first furled leader Sun. and is sold on them, as am I... Sorry fellas, no photos, the camera never left the kitchen table. Short trip, made shorter than we first planned. Mostly went for the relaxation of it . Always a great time on the Umpqua, one of my four favorite places on earth....................ModocDan.........

the four??? The North Umpqua, The far upper Rogue, where its still a creek,
the Upper Sacramento above Dunsmuir, and Ash Creek, a tributary of the Pit river in N. Ca.
way up there where there's cougars and rattlers.......................the Brookies in Ash creek are the toughest little fighters anywhere................................