+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How has Gas prices Affected Your Fishing?

Hybrid View

Red face How has Gas prices Affected Your Fishing?

I was just wondering as we see no end is sight, how gas prices have affected your fishing this year? I normally have gone fishing about 10 -12 times by this time of the year, but have only gone twice. One reason is the swollen rivers with last years large snow fall in the NW, but the price of gas also has an effect. With the price of gas, I have become more selective on going fishing to make the best of a more expensive tri. How has it affected your fishing season so far?

Dr Bob

Last fall I bought a (very) used little commuter car so that I wouldn't have to drive my truck as often.
    The 34mpg makes a big difference in how often I get out and I still have the truck for when it's needed
    I haven't tried the canoe or kayak on it yet, but the float tube can be stuffed in the trunk with the back seat folded down..

It's not the coolest vehicle in the parking lot, but at least I'm there
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

It's caused me to find a few new fishin buddies with whom to either alternate rides or share the cost of gas. Gotta say, not a bad move (easier on the wallet but that's just a bonus). Also has me fishing locally more, and that's proven to be a winner!

The price of gasoline for fishing trips is still far cheaper than a psychiatrist. We just returned from the Michigan Fish-In ... drove 2022.3 miles ... roughly 30.1 mpg @ $4.25 per gallon ... and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, right now!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    The price of gasoline for fishing trips is still far cheaper than a psychiatrist. We just returned from the Michigan Fish-In ... drove 2022.3 miles ... roughly 30.1 mpg @ $4.25 per gallon ... and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, right now!
    Good for you and hubby too! Amy and I just had a discussion about this. We are both doing everything we can to save but we do that anyway. We refuse to let hard times get us down.

Betty has set a great example here folks. Don't let harder times get you down. If you could ask my dad how they got through the depression and W.W.II he would tell you they made do with what they had, conserved everything, counted their blessings everyday and tried to stay as positive as they could. I remember stories about wrapping empty boxes at Christmas just so they had something to put under the tree on Christmas Day. Folks, it could be a lot worse. Count your blessings. I am and that starts with all of you at this board. You all are a blessing to me and I am thankful for it.

Carry on and fish-on.

It has caused me to explore more local fishing, and I have to admit that as primarily a smallie angler, I never really appreciated how many small trout stream opportunities there actually are in what I thought was my trout-poor county. This corresponds nicely with a new small stream rod that I just finished in June, so I can take better advantage of these opportunities.

Also, I don't get out as often, but I am more likely to go when I can fish longer. The little "quickie" trips are over for now.

Lastly, I am working on rigging up a bicycle with rod and gear holders for the hop to my nearest river.

Overall, no real change in the quality of fishing time.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post

Betty has set a great example here folks. Don't let harder times get you down. If you could ask my dad how they got through the depression and W.W.II he would tell you they made do with what they had, conserved everything, counted their blessings everyday and tried to stay as positive as they could. I remember stories about wrapping empty boxes at Christmas just so they had something to put under the tree on Christmas Day. Folks, it could be a lot worse. Count your blessings. I am and that starts with all of you at this board. You all are a blessing to me and I am thankful for it.

Carry on and fish-on.
    That's a great though, NH.

I think one of our biggest problems in American today is simply an addiction to affluance, to be honest. Now I know someone out there is winding up to send me down in flames with a "that's fine if you're rich" reply, but let me explain.

I've been fortunate enough to take a few trips to some interesting places on this planenet and it's given me a small bit of insight: The rest of the world, on average, doesn't have even half of the comforts and luxuries that we enjoy here. Even the poorest of the poor in America have it far, far, far better than the middle class in a few of the places I've visited. Really, by a world standard, we have no poor in the US.

But that level of affluance has given us as a nation, for both good and bad, a set of expectations about how things should be and for us as Americans our expectation is that things should alwasy get bigger, better, faster, cheaper, and we should always make more and eat more. Is that ever going to be sustainable?

Sometimes we just need to take a step back and say even with $4 a gallon gas and a subprime mortgage crisis, do we really have it all that damn bad? IMO, no, not when you look at what people went through during our country's history.

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that if gas had kept pace with inflation between 1950 and 2008, we should be all rights be paying over $5 a gallon. Now I don't know if that's right or not, but I've read many similar things over the years in various car magazines, so I suspect it's roughly accurate.

Grouse

+ Reply to Thread