+ Reply to Thread

Thread: net repair???

Hybrid View

Default net repair???

my favorite net has developed a few holes in the netting, can this be repaired? one is about a golf ball sized hole and it is becoming a problem. it is a catch and release netting. any help?

First, contact the net company, they may be able to help more. If not it may be hard to find a guy to do the repairs. You can buy a replacment net that can be attached around the bow of the net, or you can turn it into decoration and treat yourself to a new net.

Default net

it is an Orvis net that i have used forever, kind of attached to it. i'll send Orvis an email, thank you for your help.

I really like these nets ...for a lot of reasons...but for your purpose they are reasonable in cost and can replace with a minimum of effort...zipper...look at the replacement ones for the proper size....also if you like to play around ...I salvaged an old wood tennis raquet and put one of their replacement nets on it.

http://www.themeasurenet.com/index.htm

Default zipper

wow, that looks like the ticket! thank you very much for the link, i kind of get attached to my gear and memories they give me.

Thumbs up

Don't be afraid to string up a new net bag yourself. It's really a piece of cake! A few years ago I had retired an old cheapie net with a C&R net bag that had some holes like yours does. I picked up a Brodin replacement bag for a buck when the local fly shop went out of business, but was hesitant to string it up myself. I saved it for a winter project to take a break from fly tying. After building up the courage, I examined the way another net I have was strung and decided to give it a shot.
    First, I removed the old bag and stringing material, and then took some "00" steel wool to the wood - I was surprised at how good this made the net frame look, and I didn't have to re-varnish it as planned. I had bought a can of spray polyurethane varnish, but didn't need it.
    Next I took some 30lb dacron flyline backing (about 15 feet long) and dyed it black with RIT dye. Using a Griffin bobbin threader to get the backing through the holes in the frame and net, I attached the bag to the net frame. When done, I was really surprised at how good it looked, and I enjoy using that net even more now, since I did the work myself. And using stuff I had on hand, the repair cost me a whopping one dollar (for the net bag)!
    Here's a source for a replacement bag that is a sponsor of FAOL:

http://www.hookhack.com/gadgetsR.htm...r-LANDIN-11411

Another alternate would be to make the whole net bag yourself---Janns netcraft in Toledo, 0h sells all the materials, a book and the gages to make your own but the book probably cost as much as a replacement bag as Heritage Angler suggested.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I really like these nets ...for a lot of reasons...but for your purpose they are reasonable in cost and can replace with a minimum of effort...zipper...look at the replacement ones for the proper size....also if you like to play around ...I salvaged an old wood tennis raquet and put one of their replacement nets on it.

http://www.themeasurenet.com/index.htm
    I like my measure net, which was a gift, for the convienience of measuring a fish. Mine is the travel version and when used with a magnetic net holder on my back, it often comes apart when I need it the most. I have considered epoxing the thing together just because of this. In other words, if you want a measure net Don't get the travel version if you use a magnetic net holder off of the D-ring on your vest.

I might call the company and see if there is a good way to fix it as a result of this thread.

Rick

Buy a replacement net and put it on. It is really simple to do. If not, just tie some strings to close the gaps.

+ Reply to Thread