+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dyna-King Kingfisher

Default Dyna-King Kingfisher

With the cost of fuel continuing to climb, I will be be carpooling to work for the upcomming school year. My ride share partner like to get to school an hour early to prep for his day. (I do my prep at the end of the day). I will have about an extra 45 min. per day with nothing to do, so I might as well tie some flies.

I already have a Renzetti Traveler as my home vise. I want a vise to keep in my classroom for those times when I have no prep work. I don't want to carry stuff to school and back home all of the time. Dyna-King has a complete Kingfisher kit that uses Dr. Slick tools (including scissors, bobbin, threader, half hitch tool, hair stacker, cement needle), An instructional CD rom and book. Tying materials include dubbing, thread, daiichi hooks, hackle feathers, peacock herls, elk & deer hair, and head cement. Everything a tyer needs to tie some caddis flies right away. The cost is only $225.

Deal or no deal?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Default Consider a BT Rotary Tying Station

" BT's Rotary Fly tying Station,This is a great tool set that includes the Dan Vise a affordable true rotary vise, Oasis oak pedestal/tool stand and 7 brass tools. Tools are Whip finisher, half hitch threader, bodkin, scissors, hair stacker, bobbin and rotary hackle pliers. Dan Vise Introduction Video included. This is a great way to get quality tools, vise and bench all in one. We have been using this vise lately instead of my renzetti traveler and it is great vise. $150.00 "

They are a sponsor of FAOL
    Last edited by ducksterman; 07-05-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Oh come on Ducksterman. Man asked a simple question.

Personally I think the Dyna-King Fly Tying kit is the only one on the market close to being worth the money. The tying materials are a mixed blessing, of course, but the vise and tools are first rate, although I can't comment on the CD nor the book. You could look around a bit but I think a quality vise and 7 decent tools is not too bad at the price you mentioned.

You may want to price out the vise and tools separately, however, just to make sure you really need/want to pay for everthing included.

Smile

No Deal--if I were in your shoes and I had nice tying equip at home I would buy myself a Griffin 2A vice for school. Carry a packet of hooks and tying material for the 45 min of tying and save that extra $200. Why would you need head cement in school--add that at home after class. CD rom books--do you need some of this at home? BILL

Whatfly, thanks for your input. I don't need another book or CD. I'll look into piecing something together around the DK vise.

Ducksterman, thanks for your comment. However, I'm not interested in a Dan Vise. Additionally, there are at least two FAOL sponsors who are DK dealers.

Regards,
    Bakerloo

Hi Bakerloo - Check your PM's........Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo View Post
    Whatfly, thanks for your input. I don't need another book or CD. I'll look into piecing something together around the DK vise.

Ducksterman, thanks for your comment. However, I'm not interested in a Dan Vise. Additionally, there are at least two FAOL sponsors who are DK dealers.

Regards,
    Bakerloo
    You are welcome....I was just trying to give you a comparison.

Talking

re: tying at school

In the words of the imortal Elmer Fudd..."be vewy, vewy quiet" about it. I have had 2 administrators admonish me about tying at work, "when I could be preparing for students". What a crock...

maodiver
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I came close to buying a Baracudda Jr, but decided upon a Peak vise. You might really like a used Jr and they become available from time to time. True rotary that travels well. Have fun on your search.

If it was me, I would probably just do my prep time when the ride share person does and then tie at home. If you want a good excuse to tie at work, cool. The problem usually is like having two homes; the tool you want is always at the other house.

Your routine might change some but all of your stuff will be at one location. If you WANT another vise, there is nothing wrong with that. Many times in this hobby for me, it isn't about what I Need but mostly about what I want, and I live with that just fine.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread