+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout stream or community dumpster?

Hybrid View

Angry Trout stream or community dumpster?

I fished a stretch of the Allegheny River in Coudersport, Pennsylvania on Thursday evening. It is such a shame how the folks in that town treat that river. In one hole there was an air conditioner, a couple of tires, watermelon rinds, a large realty sign, multiple broken beer and wine bottles, many soda bottles, pieces of foam cups (probably from coffee). And of course, lots of empty bait containers, hook packs, etc from slob bait fishermen.

Nothing sadder than watching a pair of trout sip spinners above a sunken air conditioner.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

And ANOTHER reason I'm all for public caning ( beating the hell out of a perp using a cane). I understand this works well in some Asian countries and is doled out for "crimes" such as throwing used chewing gum on a sidewalk.
    I understand this is very effective in "treating" other crimes also.
    Mark
    PS: Of course the ACLU would also have to be caned

Unhappy Guess they've never heard of "Leave No Trace".

Truely a sad thing to see, and one I've witnessed too many times, in many areas. Wonder what those folks would do at a landfill? Apparently, this message is lost on them:

http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php

One stretch of smallmouth water I fish is under a bridge that is on a road that leads out of shall we say, an area that has a little less espect for the law than others. The bridge appears to be a convenient dump for stolen goods. Stereo equipment, bikes, many other things. I usually lift stuff out, and at least carry it to the bank. Though there are a couple of bikes that were tangled in some tree branches, that I couldn't move last year. The ice must have taken them out this year. Metal doesn't bother me as much as some of the chemicals that leach out of some of the electronics, or stuff like your A/C unit.

PS: Of course the ACLU would also have to be caned
    Oh, what a happy day that would be!

Jeff

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Slate_Drake_9 View Post
    I fished a stretch of the Allegheny River in Coudersport, Pennsylvania on Thursday evening. It is such a shame how the folks in that town treat that river. In one hole there was an air conditioner, a couple of tires, watermelon rinds, a large realty sign, multiple broken beer and wine bottles, many soda bottles, pieces of foam cups (probably from coffee). And of course, lots of empty bait containers, hook packs, etc from slob bait fishermen.

Nothing sadder than watching a pair of trout sip spinners above a sunken air conditioner.

Probably more from the greenhorns they get flooded with every weekend from our larger urban areas. I find it hard to believe that the local folks of Coudersport would do such a thing though nothing is impossible.

I see these city type natives launch their overloaded S.U.V. assault on the rural counties every weekend in the summer. Winter is a real relief for us as it drives them indoors except for the ones that come out long enough to shoot at "blaze orange" deer. These are the same types that have trashed such towns as Eagles Mere, Sonestown, Mansfield, Blossburg, Williamsport and so on.

Hey, I don't mind sharing the great outdoors with the urban types or locals for that matter. However, I despise anyone that defiles our natural resources no matter where they are from.

We used to have a camp on the Allegheny at Kennerdell, Pa. Beautiful river and a great fishery.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

I have recently fished a stream that I haven't fish in about 30 years. And to my dismay saw four old tires in the stream. There were small chubs around these tires. Shallow stream, warm water. thought of going back to remove tires. BUT Am I doing the right thing? There are no large rocks or stumps in this section. Are the chubs feed for the trout? Not sure if I should take tires out or not. Would be very easy to do, I have flat bottom boat. But am I messing up the food chain?

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    Probably more from the greenhorns they get flooded with every weekend from our larger urban areas. I find it hard to believe that the local folks of Coudersport would do such a thing though nothing is impossible.

Although I never miss a chance to take a shot at "mupears," I really think this is the locals doing this. The area I was fishing is devoid of camps for quite a way, but there are many houses and a few businesses. It is as close to urban fishing as you can get in Potter County.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Slate_Drake_9 View Post
    Although I never miss a chance to take a shot at "mupears," I really think this is the locals doing this. The area I was fishing is devoid of camps for quite a way, but there are many houses and a few businesses. It is as close to urban fishing as you can get in Potter County.

That's really sad.

It seems that the people who use streams here in Ark are 2 polar opposite types: Those who wouldn't think of leaving trash and those who think nothing of it. It is absolutely the locals who do 90% of it. In AR its a state law on all streams to have no glass containers, all cans in a "coozie", a mesh trash bag tied to the boat, no loose trash in the bottom of the boat and the ice chest lid lockable or secured w/ bungee. Game wardens will ring you up if you are not compliant. It has helped a lot, but some people are just irredeemable - and they are allowed to breed.

+ Reply to Thread