Last week I had the opportunity to fish for Atlantic salmon in the Gaspe region of Quebec. I had a blast, sight fishing over large fish for two days in crystal clear water, and ended up landing four fish - one grilse and three nice salmon.

My guide had me fishing mostly tube flies of various sizes and weights. I've been fishing and tying for many years, but haven't tied or fished tube flies before. I found the flies interesting for a couple of reasons. I most liked the fact that I could fish a long streamer using a very short shanked hook (we were fishing tandem salmon hooks in the tubes). The flies seemed to be constructed with a solid tube in the "throat" of the fly, followed by a flexible rubber or plastic part. I assume the rubber or plastic part either lines or slips over a brass tube.

Anyways, I'd like to experiment over the upcoming winter with tying up some tubes. I looked through the usual sites that I order materials from and didn't find any tube materials. Anybody know where I can order materials and also perhaps the name of a good instructional book on the art?

Thanks!
Troy