+ Reply to Thread

Thread: have landed same trout 8 times

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default have landed same trout 8 times

100 percent sure is same trout

took its photo each time.

Same run.

Are trout really as smart as people give them credit for?

Trout caught was caught 8 times in last year. (Tiger Trout)
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

That's a beautiful fish!

I've also caught the same fish repeatedly. Haven't done it recently because I don't get back to the same places repeatedly. When I was a kid, I fished the same holes on the river everyday and would catch the same fish over and over. I was certain about that because some of them had the same lamprey eel scars and scars from other things that were the exact same shapes in the exact same places.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post
    Are trout really as smart as people give them credit for?
    apparently not if its been caught 8 times!!

After the third or fourth time they realize you are harmless, maybe. Or possibly this fish is conducting research on alien abductions. The other fish think he's nuts.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Normand;
    I have a really fish story for you, whether you choose to believe or not.
    I have a freind (Bian Riley), and he has a place on Great East Lake,(in southern Maine) he has a PET bass that shows up every year for 5 years now. Bass stays under his pontoon boat, and Brian feeds him. He (or she)is like a puppy dog, follows you everywhere because I have fed it crayfish. I can't imagine that fish could remember, but I assure you this one DOES. There are 3 of us that if you get in the water, the bass is 2 inches away from you. If you have no food will bump you in the leg.

I know I shouldn't try this story yet, but had to !!! And it really is true !!

A guest speaker at a TU meeting made the following statement:

"Trout are not the smartest fish we fish for, but, they definately know the difference between something that looks alive and something that does not look alive. Therefore, if your flies do not look alive in the water, the trout will refuse it." So, if you are catching this same fish with flies you tied, you are doing a great job of tying flies that look alive.

Several years ago I opened a marine at 6am and was relieved at 3pm. One of my morning rituals was cleaning out the minnow tank of dead minnows and changing the water. There would be 2 bass each morning waiting at the edge of the marine dock for me to throw the dead minnows in which they would eat. After a short while I was able to hand feed these bass. All I had to do was hold a minnow by the tail and hold it just above the water line and they would come up and take the minnow. I got a lot of enjoyment doing this and also was very upset when one of the owners of a boat in one of our slips decided he would put a minnow on a hook and he caught both of the bass and ate them!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

IF trout will get caught on marshmallows........you can figure from there. I've never been one to think trout are that smart............
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread