+ Reply to Thread

Thread: large flies with 5wt.

Default large flies with 5wt.

Just wondering what are the largest flies you have successfully cast with a 9' 5wt. How about weighted flies?

If by successfull, Your talking catching fish.....I've done well with poppers to #2,Heavily weighted crayfish,Spinners..and I don't mean the dainty things use to imiatate a dead mayfly,And caught everything from Pike to blue gill on even smaller rods while tossing some rather large and or heavy stuff.

But I've also caught pike on #16 dries,with heavier equipment...an Orvis 1wt will cast a spinner...30 ft was about max but I still took trout ....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 19 September 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

How far you want to cast? I use my 5 wt. for flies up to size 6. However, any fish is going to hit my size 6 fly I think I prefer to use at least a 6 wt. rod.

ive cast up to #6 clousers with heavy lead eyes on my 9' 5wt. hooked some really nice LMB's in the process.

the main difference for me is in comfort and timing. on my 2 wt, i dont cast anything bigger than a #14, but will go as low as a #32. 3wt=#32-10, 4wt=#20-#10, and so on.

it has been my experience that the heavier the fly, the slower the casting stroke. so, when im casting a #18 caddis dry on my 5wt, the stroke is very fast and short(fast action rod). when casting a heavy #6 clouser, the action must be slower to prevent "cracking the whip" between fore and back casts. the heavier weight/larger fly simply loads the rod deeper into the butt, slowing down the action.

now, i wouldnt cast the same clouser with my 3wt, but id bet it wouldnt be impossible...just less comfortable for me.

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

You can cast very big flies with your 5 wt. if you want. When I cast a #2 lead weighted Double Bunny with lead eyes I use the water to my advantage. Let your line out and use the friction of the water as you cast forward and then on your back cast. Every time you cast, let more line out. You will be surprised how far you can cast big flies. Scott

Blog Entries

Every one I have ever tried. I have some 6" long leeches, double hooks, barbell eyes, weigh about fourteen pounds when wet. I can cast em, but it's not overly pretty, and I dump the cast beyond 50 feet or so.

I have thrown that leech on the 1wt, as well, but it was REAL ugly to watch.

Dennis

I have thrown size 2 woolies with my 4wt...but the impact rivals that of a meteor. Make sure you use a heavier tippet with the really big stuff, and you may find it beneficial to shorten your leader length also. Generally speaking, I have ended up slinging the big woolies when I find myself in warmwater with my coldwater rod. IMHO, most warmwater species (bass, catfish, etc) don't require near as long or slight of a tippet as do the salmonoids. I also find that while bass fishing, I'm often trying to sling my fly up under branches or into thick cover. I think having a shorter, heavier leader helps to control the big projectile a little better.

PS-Don't worry about how far you can cast, its how far you can cast with accuracy that matters.

+ Reply to Thread