+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packable Rain Jacket Under $100

Default Packable Rain Jacket Under $100

Do they make packable, breathable rain jackets for under $100. I would like one but I don't want to spend a fortune. I have one now that keeps me dry but it's made out of PVC and I sure sweat on warm days.
    Thanks

2. Default Rain Coats

Hey Lastchance, I picked up a wader length rubber jacket from Cabelas for under $30 and I like it. Where (and when) you plan to use the raingear dictates what material it should be made of. I read somewhere that rubber /pvc should be used in cooler, wetter climates while breatheables should be used in warmer climates. The majority of the times I wear a raincoat is in late Fall, early Spring, and Winter Steelhead fishing. In summer, I wear quick dry clothing. Maybe somebody else will shed more light on this. Good Luck, RR

I keep one of these in my vest at all times:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...lite&noImage=0

It's GoreTex, so I know the quality is there, it's their PacLite series, so it packs very compactly and it's light, which I appreciate especially during the warmer times of year when a shower is likely to pop up. The way I've always looked at it, I don't want my rain jacket to add insulation, just to keep me dry. Unless I've screwed up, I should have the right amount of clothing for the temps I'm going to encounter that day before I put my jacket on, regardless of whether we're talking winter or summer. Especially on a warm day though, I don't want a heavy rain jacket adding to how hot I probably feel already, even it is breathable.

A similar thread that you might find helpful: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ghlight=jacket

Rick

I have a William Joseph Ultra Lite Jacket and really like it. Packs down very small. Costs about $60.

Lastchance -

This one from Marmot has had a super reputation for a looonnng time.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___53407

Lowe Alpine does some really great outdoors stuff. For a great price and very good size and color selection, take a look at this one.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...f-For-Men.html

STP has a great return policy and their customer service is top shelf. They have a bunch of other jackets you might like better if you look around on this site. Their 4th of July sale prices are as good as I've seen from them, and I've been shopping this site for over ten years.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default I second William Joseph

I second the WIlliam Joseph Lightweight jacket (the new tan ones, not the older ones). Mine is killer; no leaks and is totally the perfect summer jacket or pack jacket.

Lastchance,

I good place to look also are the golf pro shops.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    I have a William Joseph Ultra Lite Jacket and really like it. Packs down very small. Costs about $60.
    If I remember right the WJ jackets are not breathable. Can you confirm that?

The William Joseph ultra lite Jacket is breathable per the info in their catalog and per my experience.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 07-03-2008 at 09:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread