This spring I spent the big bucks and bought an Orvis Helios tip flex 8 wt rod and very quickly fell in love with it. It was so much lighter than my other 8 wt I could hardly wait to get it strung up and head down to the local lake and fish stocked trout with it. From my first cast I've been very impressed with the rod. I've hand 8 wt floating, type III sinking line and sink tip, 9 wt floating and 7 wt clouser line on it and it hasn't disappointed me yet. The type III sinking and 7 wt clouser lines seem to work the best of the lot. The thing will cast anything from a small wooly bugger to a large bass bug or fly rod spinner bait without complaint.
Ok, enough of me singing the praises of this rod. What I really want is an objective opinion not necessarily of this rod but any of the other Helios line of rods from people who have had other premium quality rods. What, in your opinion, are your rods strengths and weaknesses? How would you judge it for accuarcy on both near and far targets? What do you think your rod is best suited for? Bonefish or carp on the flats? Bass bugging, pike, trout?
I'd like to end up with a more measured and considered opinion of this rod because right now I think I want another one!