+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rio Selective Trout II DT

Hybrid View

Default Rio Selective Trout II DT

Anyone here ever used Rio Selective Trout II DT fly line? I was thinking of going for it. I nymph fish 90% of the time, but when the fish are feeding on top readily, I throw some dry flies.
    Thanks

Hello! I love this line! I have it on my 2wt. no complaints here. Very supple and workable.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Lastchance -

I'm a big fan of the Rio Selective Trout lines. I've got them on my 3 wt, 5 wt, and 7 wt rods. The 3 and 5 are DTs and the 7 is a WF.

The lines are right on to the rod weights for my primary rods - a Winston Ibis 7'6" for 3 wt, a Powell LGA 9' for 5 wt, and a Sage Fli 9' for 7 wt. The lines float well and are supple with little memory, which is important since I do a lot of fishing in the winter here in the Intermountain West.

The 3 and 5 wts are used mostly for dry fly fishing or dries with a dropper and occasional straight nymphing, and the 7 wt has been mostly a nymphing rod. I fish a tandem of size 6 weighted nymphs under an indicator on the 7 wt and the rod / line set up turns the combination over nicely. Looking forward to using the 7 for some big dries - stoneflies and hoppers - but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Hard to go wrong with Rio and their Selective Trout lines.

John
    The fish are always right.

4. Default

Agree with the rest, the Rio Selective Trout lines are superb. I haven't found them to be overly durable, but nothing to complain about either. And I'm hard on equipment so it may be me more so than the line.

Great hybrid taper lines with a long front taper for delicate presentations. I use a 3wt DT on a slow glass rod in my quiver and it's a dream. I did try one on another slightly faster rod but didn't care for it. I was looking for a line that helped load the rod up close and I guess the long front taper was the problem. I also had a dreadful time with the same rod & line combo trying to flip a size 12 beadhead with a yarn indicator so again YMMV.

The line is SUPER supple and I haven't experienced those annoying line coils, even on standard arbor reels. To reiterate a previous comment; they are fantastic in winter. My ONLY complaint is the color choices:

Super dark and hard to see olive and super bright and impossible to hide chartreuse.

Something in the middle would be nice.

Default Those colors

Those color choices mystify me, too. I like muted colors but not super dark olive. I don't understand why they even make a bright green color.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread