+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana Question

Hybrid View

Default Montana Question

Need info PLEASE.
    I have been approached by a large local company here in Alabama to provide information on where to go and who to fly fish with in Montana. 1 rep and 5 executives. Although I have some contacts with friends in the FFF in Livingston and a few of the lodges endorse by Orvis I am uncertain where to send them.
    Trip is planned for July- August. I would like to make sure the trip is a huge success for both the rep and the company. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. My local knowledge of smallmouth, largemouth, bream and southern tailwater trout could be helpful in exchange if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance,
    Wade

Wade (great name for a fisherman, btw),

Can't help you with any lodge recommendations, but as to fishing, the northern Rockies were blessed with a lot more precipitation this past winter than they've had in years so it could be a banner year for fishing throughout the state for most if not all of the summer. Most of the rivers are currently high/dirty so it would probably be best to plan for later in July or into August, if possible, when the rivers should be coming into good shape. You might want to check with some flyshops in areas they might be interested in for recommendations on accomodations; they can run anywhere from 5 star resorts to camping out of the back of a pickup right along the water (that's what I do, but I get the feeling your group would be more interested in the former).

Regards,
    Scott

ps - At the very least, they should invite you along for your angling expertise

Wherever you decide to send them, you need to get them booked ASAP if the trip is for this year. It's already very unlikely you could get them booked on the Paradise Valley spring creeks in that timeframe, if they wanted to do that. If it's for next year, book by January 15 if they want to get on the creeks and by March 15 for floats or walk trips elsewhere --this way you'll be sure to get them with top guides.

Some things to guide your decision:
    ~with the amount of water we have, August will be at least as consistent as late July, there will be less biting bugs, and there are usually less people.
    ~are they going to want to do walk trips as well as floats? With the spring creeks probably booked, Yellowstone Park is the best place to go, which suggests Gardiner as a starting point. If they just want to float, Livingston (or Bozeman) would make just as much sense.
    ~Do you want the trip to be all-inclusive, or do they want to stay at a motel/hotel/B+B and just be guided? If the former, options get pretty narrow. Otherwise, check with outfitters/shops for their lodging recommendations before booking, then try to book the lodging before confirming the guide days. Most things in town here are tight until late August at least, so that will be a bigger sticking point than getting a guide.
    ~how fancy do the business types need it to be? In other words, do they want a fancy lunch or is a sandwich okay? Some shops cater to upscale tastes (Anderson's), while most of the time you'll get some kind of basic picnic lunch fare. I suspect the lodges are generally more fancy on average.

Any of the "real" shops in the Livingston/Bozeman/Gardiner/West Yellowstone area are goingg to treat your sports just fine when it comes to the fishing. It's the stuff above that should determine who you actually book with. Hope you'll at least consider booking with me, though I ain't doing venison for lunch. www.parksflyshop.com

Blog Entries

Smile

I strongly recommend the Frontier Angler fly shop in Dillon Montana. Tim Tollett is the owner and he has some excellent guides. I have been using this guide service for many years.

The great thing about the Dillon area (southwest Montana) is the wide variety of waters to fish, hence there is always something good for fishing. You have a nice selection of rivers: the Beaverhead; the Big Hole (my favorite); the Jefferson; the Madison; and the Ruby. Plus you have some great lake fishing and Pointer Slough.

The Frontier Angler has cabins available if you don?t want to stay in a local motel.

Check them out at: http://www.frontieranglers.com/

They will treat your company right.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

call the trout shop great guys and good fishing
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Im a big fan on Montana troutfitters in Bozeman, and there are tons of hotels around. Plus, if they dont work out there are TONS of other shops that can usually find someone to guide with a couple days notice.

Thanks everyone...I will let you know what they decide to do. Hopefully will get some good reports and pics back too.
    Wade

Wade, just got back from Twin Bridges, The Stonefly Inn www.stoneflyinn.com, my wife and I have been going there the past four years. They concentrate on the Big Hole, Beaverhead, Jefferson, and the Madison. They also have access to private spring waters. As I said we just got back from there two days ago, and despite all the "bad" reports of high unfishable conditions we found great fishing in ten days and the two guided trips were as good as any other years we were there (and they were absolutely great!). They have housekeeping cabins and also do the all inclusive packages if you would like, and they are very, very reasonably priced. The Big Hole and Beaverhead are very fishable right now! The Madison, Gallatin, are high and muddy as of two days ago.

Glenn

Blog Entries

Send Benjo here at FAOL a message, see if he has days free. He is in the Missoula area, and there are many choices around there. Missoula also has an airport and all of the comforts of the big (for Montana) city.

Default Montana question - private message

Waders:

I've sent you a private message with a recommendation I made in this circumstance that worked out very well.

JMG

+ Reply to Thread