+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What fly vise would you recommend of these.

Default What fly vise would you recommend of these.

I have a cheap tying vise and am looking at getting a new vise and would like to step up and get a nice vise. I have been looking at these vise's
    Griffin Mongoose,Dyna-King Barracuda and Renzetti Traveler vise. What would you recommend and why.

Thanks

Vises are a really personal choice. I tied on a Renzetti Traveler for over 10 years and would recommend it to anyone starting out. It will be a long time before you outgrow that vise. It's dependable, well made and does everything a rotary vise is supposed to do.

If you have the chance, sit down behind each vise and see how your hands fit around the vise, if possible tie a fly on each vise and see how it feels.

When I first bought the Renzetti I bought it because out of the vises I test drove, it fit me and my tying style the best.

I've never tied on the other two vises, so I really can't say anything about them.

I too have the Renzetti. Serves me well and has for going on 15 yrs and have replaces the "O" ring once, AND Renzetti sent me the replacement free of charge.
    Now I still use it, but I use my Vosseler at shows cause it is a work of art in itself.

Consider adding a Regal vise to your list too.
    I've tied some on several and for ease of use and a rock-solid hook grip, I like the Regal.
    Mark 1:17

Normand Guest

i've used the renzetti traveler for almost 20 years and it hasn't failed yet.

it spins the fly on the hooks axis just like all of the other "true rotary" vises do. nothing special there!

its really a matter of personal preference as to which one you buy. try them all before you decide.

as far as a recommendation of the 3 you're asking about, i too have not used the others and therefore cannot recommend 1 over the other.
    Last edited by Normand; 06-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
    I've tied some on several and for ease of use and a rock-solid hook grip, I like the Regal.

I agree with the clamping of hooks, but 20+ years of playing music and I end up with arthritis in my Thumbs. I sold my Regal for that reason. I couldn't squeeze the handle very easy and fine tune the hook in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
    Regal vises have a loyal following--I started with a Herters then went to a Thompson "A" then the Regal---I bought a Dyna King Barracuda but sold it in a month.
    Ive used the Regal for everything from a 28 to a 4/0---no settings, no slipping and no extra parts.
    I have tendon problems in my hands and like flygodess says ---the lever squeeze is rather stiff.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

I have to chime in on the Griffin Mongoose. It has served me well

DC
    dc

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    I have to chime in on the Griffin Mongoose. It has served me well

DC
    I second the Griffin with its lifetime guarantee BILL

well, ive tied for years on standard vices that supposed to hold the hook, some a bit better than others.. wanted something better that i could tie a veriety of flies as well as sizes so i tried a few different rotary vices.. after testing some i decided on the danvise because of the rotary function and its price.. very sturdy vice & the rotary function of it allows ya to make more smoother fly bodies.. the only drawback on the danvise is that if you dont adjust the jaws correctly you could chip or break them, so the directions say.. jaws have a lifetime guarentee.. i havent had any trouble out of it yet & ive tied about 800 flies on it as of now in the 3 months that ive had it..

+ Reply to Thread