+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Gum?

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Power Gum?

I'm reading John Goddard's book, Trout-Fishing Techniques (2003). It's an interesting read for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that John is from the other side of the pond and gives a different prospective on fishing with the angle. In the section on leaders, John mentions that he likes to use a section of POWER GUM in his hand made leaders. According to John, Power Gum stretches up to 70% of its original length and serves as a shock absorber making it possible to land large fish on light tippets. It also prevents flies from popping off if you hook a branch because of this shock absorbing property.

I regularly read fly fishing catalogs cover to cover and have never seen the stuff. Does anyone use Power Gum? What do you think of the stuff and where can it be obtain? Thanks in advance for any input. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 06-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Normand Guest

feather craft used to carry it

called it "shock gum"

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...iew&target=201
    Last edited by Normand; 06-27-2008 at 12:55 PM.

F-C sells pre-tied sections w/ loops on them. Get them, as it is impossible to get a knot to hold in that stuff. I have a small spool I bought for steelhead and we could not find a knot that didn't pull out.
    It does work though. I do believe we landed a few we would otherwise have probably lost on real light tippet.

Here in 'The Colonies' we are as usually way ahead of the pack. So it is with 'tongue-in-cheek' We have cleverly produced a commercially type product, namely, "Trout flavored gum!" For the gumitariust near you, inquire thusly; http://flyanglersonline.com/lighters...man/jack48.php

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Does anyone use the stuff and like it???

Folks,

Thanks to everyone who posted information about Power Gun particularly Normand, Fisher Tim, and Tailingloop for suggesting a source and JC for the laugh. I would still like to hear from someone who uses the stuff and really likes it or from anyone else who hates it. Goddard is certainly enthusiastic about Power Gum anyone else feel that way? 8T

+ Reply to Thread