FYI, I'm pretty sure that the thinner that is sold for daves Flexament is perchloroethylene (perc) which is used in the USA as dry cleaning fluid. PERC, tolulene, xylene, are all very volatile organic solvents and are all known to cause health problems (like cancer) in humans. I once tried thinning Flexament with lighter fluid and it worked but the result just wasn't the same as using good old PERC.

Jmeyerc, Daves Flexament is a propriatary product that is sold in the US as a fly tying head cement. It is a clear liquid that dries to a tough rubbery consistency. You can coat feathers with it to 'rubberize' them. I don't know of any other fly tying product that is quite like Flexament and it is handy to have around the tying bench. There are a number of rubberized cements generally available in the US like GOOP, Shoe GOO and probably a dozen others that would appear to be very much like flexament only much thicker (like jelly or toothpaste). One would think that you could thin them with something and create your own Flexament-like compound. The problem is that none of these products tell you what the ingrediants are and they certainly don't tell you what solvent to use on them so you have to just experiment or ask around. It is possible that all this kind of material is banned in NZ. Volatile organic compounds like tolulene and xylene are bad for you and bad for the environment.