+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What knot for flourocarbon tippets??

Hybrid View

1. Default What knot for flourocarbon tippets??

What do you recomend for the tippet to line connection and the tippet to fly connection? I am asking becuase I usually use an improved clinch for the fly, but hear it is not good when using flourocarbon????

Also, what's the deal with no moisture in seating a fluorocarbon knot, or is that without basis?

I use the 'Improved Clinch' for fluoro and mono at the fly; I wet both. When tying a fluoro tippet to a mono leader,,, experiment some. Not all knots work with that combination.

I use the combo almost daily...most time I use the albright plain and simple and will unweighted flys I use a improved clinch knot...when using ferrarri type leaders I use a bimini and a spider hitch loop to loop and when using bite tippet I use a bimini and the X knot ...with all weighted flys I use an adjustable loop knot

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning.
    Fluo to mono, there is only one suitable, trusted knot and that is the slim beauty........(think thats what its called ?)

Because all the other knots, the fluo will cut the monofilament, and therefore break the knot.

Kind regards,
    UB

6. Default I like the Flouro!!

Tried it out last night, it was sweet. Very easy to tie and the little extra stiffness seems to lay out the dry flies a bit better? I don't have to tie it to mono so that isn't an issue.. look forward to trying it this weekend. Thanks for everyones input...

In my experience the clinch knot works fine in flouro if you wet it and tighten it very slooowly.

Quote Originally Posted by murphlax34 View Post
    What do you recomend for the tippet to line connection and the tippet to fly connection? I am asking becuase I usually use an improved clinch for the fly, but hear it is not good when using flourocarbon????
    I've had good luck w/a 3 turn surgeons knot in 5X Fluoro tippet on the end of a 9' 4X mono leader on the Mo. A 2 turn failed..slipped but the 3 didn't and it didn't seem too weak either.

I used the Pitzen knot on the fly...on large hoppers down to Trico's. No problem.

Jeremy.

Thanks Clay for the recommendations on places. What is it that you don't like about our knot section?

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Thanks Clay for the recommendations on places. What is it that you don't like about our knot section?

I guess the first thing I can think of was finding it. Now that I did, under the "basics" section here is a direct link: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/
    Nice section.

I do enjoy the knot wars site and the videos of testing many knots in a head to head competition. The other articles are ones that I have saved to my favorites and have a nice take on knot selection.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread