I know that this is very basic and the puter gurus will say "WELL DUH!"

I never have a need for color copies I would be happy if printers only printed black.
I was at staples lamenting about the very high price of color ink cartridges. A nice young employee said that he had overheard me talking to my wife about the ink. Did I know that they had several black only Printers? Then he showed me several under $60 printers that use toner instead of ink. He also advised me that with a regular cartridge at the rate of about 1 or 2 pages per day it should last at least 5 -10 years before running out. The printer cost me $58.00 on sale with a $10.00 mail in rebate and the extra cartridge cost me $75.00.

This is less than ink has been costing me each year.

If you are printing a bunch of pages all at once this printer is incredibly faster than an inkjet with a page every second blasting out of the thing.
With no waiting time for the ink to dry.

A major bonus is that the toner is powdered plastic and is heat bonded to the paper making it waterproof. If you have printed something and then had something spill on it you will appreciate this feature.

I just wish I had clued in years ago as I have gone thru mondo amounts of ink cartridges. Some expensive ink cartridges have even dried out making them usless. Toner can sit for months and never dry out.