+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer hair..

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Deer hair..

This is for you pros out there...So, everyone but me!!!

How in the world do you spin deerhair? I've seen it on youtube, had a couple pointers, and yet, I can't do it to save my life!!!

Any tips out there to make it easier?

Thanks a bunches!
    Shane

Shane;
    Although, I'm sure it'll be attempted, I think that "trying to instruct someone on how to spin deer/Elf hair, by only reading written instructions", is going to be like trying to push a chain down the street.
    Try and get your hands on some videos, you can sit and watch over and over again and even maybe, practice spinning hair along with them. (Chris Helms's web site is an excellent place to start). Skip Morris, Al and Gretchen, Dave Whitlock, there are many, many, excellent vids out there to learn from!!
    You can also, of course,learn a great deal from books on hair spinning, IF the pictures are precise and clear enough and will take you through the steps easily.
    I'll look through my own library too and see if I still have any vids you can have on spinning hair. If I do, I'll send them up to you, no charge.
    Of course, the "end result" is still going ot be........... "practice, practice, practice, one you get the basics down!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

YouTube has a couple videos that are pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Yl-iGWKqk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9UxjnRFfiE

Hope those help. If you want more, just go to YouTube and enter "Spinning Deer Hair" into their search feature.

Blog Entries

go to the intermediate tying section under Fly tyin on the main site. there are some great tutorials on how to spin and stack deer hair. in there. thats how i learned. also dont be dicouraged if youre first few dont work out. it took me about half a dozen attempts to get it down well for a popper.

Here's my tip: DON'T!

I wasted probably a dozen hooks trying to learn to spin hair Some of them finally came out decent, but I had a hard time packing it in tight enough that way that it still looked like crap. I've found that any pattern the calls for spun deer hair (at least the ones that I tie--probably not true in all cases) I can stack the hair instead and get the same effect. Charlie Craven ties a hair diver that looks like it is spun, but is completely stacked hair. You can see it here: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=38
    Leave No Trace

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Default Spun Deerhair

Otto;
    I was fortunate, to have tying lessons (as a gift from famly),and I really believe if you are able to watch someone, and do it beside him or her this thing isn't that hard. It is really difficult to try some things just on reading. So I suggest talking to someone and get them to show you how.

Hi Shane,

Yes, spinning deer hair can be frustrating to learn but it is much easier than you might think IF you have the right hair. On a whitetail deer (other deer, elk, etc.) the hair from the rib/belly area is good spinning while the hair along the back bone, rump and shoulder areas is good for wings and tails. When you try to spin tail hair it is a major exercise in frustration.

So how do you tell wing/tail hair from rib/belly hair? Wing/tail hair is a dark gray/chocolate brown in color while the good spinning hair is light gray through out the length of the hair fiber with the exception of the very tip. Ask for rib/belly hair at your local taxidermist or local fly shop.

Once you have the right hair some of the "You Tube" instruction may make a little more sense. Good luck with your new venture in fly tying. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Aw phooey,,, nothing to it. When you get it right you will agree. Do NOT, NOT, NOT lay a base of thread under it. Try this, just to see how simple it is. Start your thread at the bend, yes,,, where the tail ties in. now, hold a 'pinch' of HOLLOW deer hair right on top (in line with the hook shank!). Hold it there and take TWO LOOSE WRAPS of thread over the MIDDLE of the bunch.
    Now,,, (while still holding the hair on top of the hook (not real tight)), gently start pulling on the thread and as it gets tighter allow the hair to roll around the hook. Keep pulling and watch in amazement as both ends of the hair stand up. Now pull the hairs to the left with your left hand and take a wrap IN FRONT of the hairs. Next,,, using the fingernails on your right hand,,, jam the gob of hairs back toward the bend. Now do it several times.

JC, that may be the shortest...best...description I've seen in print

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies everyone!

After JC's description (It sounded so easy) I quickly got tying. I must say, it worked pretty nicely. Better than the youtube vids I was watching.....over, and over, and over, and over, and......Well, you get it.

Paul, thanks a lot buddy! However, I think I might have this down now

Now, that being said. My first fly is sort of.......well, I'm sure it would catch fish. Might be a little easier to tie deerhair bugs on something larger than 14's too. But it turned out ok I think.

Thanks for the tips and links everyone! And thanks for the instruction JC!

Like other said, it's quite frustrating. So much I hate it. But, a few more and I think I'll be alright

Thanks a lot everyone!
    Shane

+ Reply to Thread