+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Fishing in February/March

Default Trout Fishing in February/March

Hi everyone,

I will be turning 40 years old in February, and my wife ask me if I wanted a party. I said no, take me fishing instead. We live in PA so the weather is pretty nasty and the fishing is slow around my birthday.

My wife ask me if I had any place that I would like to go. I would like to stay in the States and fish for trout, however all of the places that are on my list, are best fished Spring Summer, and Fall not dead of Winter. I am not familiar with the fishing in areas that are more mild during the Winter months. I would appreciate any help with places to go and where to stay.

Steve

Well, there's the San Juan in NW New Mexico that can be "livable" in March. I've also fished it in February a couple of times. One time the temps were in the 50-60s during the day....35 at night. The other time it never got above freezing, we had to dip our rods in the water every so often to melt the ice off of the guides. The water temp will always be below 55 or so - tailwater from the dam less than a 1/2 mile upstream.

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

The good ol' Frying Pan here in Colorado. Winter is the best time to fish this place; you may have the whole thing to yourself. There are not many other places I would rather fish in the winter.

I fish Taneycomo it's not to cold in Missouri. Had a great time last winter caught alot of fish. Also caught my biggest trout of 24 inches nice rainbow.

smgfish,
    Please disregard nubby's comment. There are no fish in CO during the winter.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

How about some winter steelheading? Now there's a good fight!

Try this page and scroll down. It will tell yout about what to expect on average on the San Juan in February. It averages about 10 degrees warmer than State College in February.
    [url=http://www.city-data.com/city/Farmington-New-Mexico.html:6ad4e]http://www.city-data.com/city/Farmington-New-Mexico.html[/url:6ad4e]

Farmington is probably an hour's drive or so from the prime water on the San Juan so it's approximate.

4 yrs. ago wheni turned 65 my wife hired a guide for me on the salmon river in altmar ny-my son-in-law went with me and we caught 5 steel-head-largest was just under 18lb.smallest was 8lb.-what a ball-i have caught steelies before but biggest was 12lb.-i only live 26mi. away-but it was very enjoyable too be in a boat-my first time on the river in a boat or with a guide-even tho i fish there a lot i learned a lot-we fly fished only it is what we requesred-it was the 20th of febuary-absoulutely beautiful-then again i like cold weather-it is why i live here??

------------------
    bob faorite past-times winter steelie fishing-fall bow-hunting-would write more but with my typing i would be here for wks.??

Come to New Zealand !

Jan/ Feb/March is our summer
    The natives are friendly, speak English, the water is safe to drink,
    The scenery is stunning and the South Island has the best trout fishing to sighted fish in the world

Felix

------------------

Owen River Lodge
    Fly Fishing at its very best
    Owen Valley East Road, Murchison
    South Island, New Zealand
    Tel:+ 64 3 523 9075

www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz

nubby_g said it.

COME TO COLORADO and fish the Blue and the 'Pan and the Roaring Fork.

Lots of water to fish.

No, wait..... I want to keep that a secret. Never mind!!!!!

------------------
    Ken

There is a fine line between fly fishing and and just standing in a river looking like and idiot.

+ Reply to Thread