Quote Originally Posted by tlerm View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to misattribute the quote. I did fix it though.

Once again though, it's just my opinion. Someone else may prove me wrong. If I am wrong, I would like to know. I'm always looking for ways to save a nickel.
Your engine is an air pump. That's it, just that simple. It pumps air in, thorough and back out of it's systems. Not matter how many computer and sensors you have regulating the ratio of the fuel air mixture the easier it is for the engine to pump air, the more efficient the engine will be. Freeing up flow through the engine by opening up the intake and exhaust will allow the engine to maintain a more accurate fuel/air ratio and develop more power from that mixture. This means your ECU can more accurately fine tune the fuel/air mixture and you use less accelerator pedal to achieve a given speed and keep the car at that given speed. I have never seen or heard of any damage caused by the "lower" filtering ability of these filters. Matter of fact they are actually heavier than the paper filters. In lieu of paper they use a cotton medium for filtration. Chances are they actually filter better than the paper filters though I have no evidence to prove it.

One other thing. The computer operates on default factory settings. It can be reprogrammed for better mileage and performance. Both Summit and JEGS sell chips fro these units.

Always run your tires at the vehicle manufacturers recommended inflation found on the door jamb or inside of the door. flybinder is correct about over inflation affecting tire life and traction. Rotate and Balance those tires every other oil change or 6,000 miles.

If you check with Ford, not a dealer but Ford themselves, I believe you will find out that a K&N performance filter kit will not void your warranty. Dealers will tell you anything to get out of warranty work.