+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo

Hybrid View

Default Bamboo

Hi guys:
    I know that in tis hole are some Boo fans.
    I still never tried with grass rods, but now I am curious. Are all so expensive? I know that they need a hard, artistic work and deep knowledge to make a good one, however, would you give me some advise where to get some not SO EXPENSIVE????
    Somehing to fish 4-8 pund trout (6wt would be on graphite).
    Are not 9 or 9+ ft long bamboo rods?

Thank you in advance

Rocketfish

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
    Hi guys:
    I know that in tis hole are some Boo fans.
    I still never tried with grass rods, but now I am curious. Are all so expensive? I know that they need a hard, artistic work and deep knowledge to make a good one, however, would you give me some advise where to get some not SO EXPENSIVE????
    Somehing to fish 4-8 pund trout (6wt would be on graphite).
    Are not 9 or 9+ ft long bamboo rods?

Thank you in advance

Rocketfish

Hey, well they take about 80 hours to make. The actual bamboo is like $2. Then you have to splice them into piece and spend about 80 hour glues back, backing them, etc (something like this, I dont know exactly what I am talking about). So if you want a inexpensive one, get one where the labor is inexpensive! Chinese made blanks baby! Also look into anglers roost enterprises on ebay, they have pretender series.

Hola Rocket,
    Long time, no hear...
    In Argentina there is a maker, Marcelo Caviello who can help answer your questions. His site is here. He is a good guy but as SoCal told you, they take a while to make so you won't find one that is inexpensive unless you go the Chinese way.
    Hows the Patagonia fishing holding up lately now that you're going into Winter?
    Stay well,
    Mark

Thank you guys.
    When I said a not so expensive, I didn't mean the worst stuff...sorry socalsalt and China...I mean not a $10.00 one, nor a $1,000 one. Something in between. Perhaps a $300-400...is it possible?
    I know Marcelo Calviello mc...not my friend, but I know he's is a very good flyfisher and rod maker. I also saw his website and are also "expensive", high level rods.
    Comparing this topic with graphite rods, we have some very good Cabelas rods for $100-170 and expensive $600-700 Sage, Winston, Loomis, Hardy, etc.
    So I was wondering if something similar exists in Boo planet.

Rocketfish

Hi Rocketfish,

I am a bamboo rod maker. The next time you think $1000.00 is expensive for a bamboo rod, consider the following.

60 - 80 hours to make multiplied by your personal basic wage. Add the cost of material which is the lowest part of the equation. What do you have? Now how much would that rod cost you if your auto mechanic, your plumber, heven forbid your lawyer made that rod. A $1000.00 bamboo fly rods are a true bargin. There are a few fellows out there making and selling rods for $600.00 to $800.00. Shop around. I don't think you can beat a modern bamboo rod for performance. You might find an old trade rod for less but if you ever get your hands on a good modern bamboo rod you will never go back.

fishbum

fishbum...I never said tah "$1,000 is expensive for a bamboo rod"...If you read well, I was just wondering about prices, and I was asking if it's possible to get soem for less than that.
    I am not considering the cost according to the boo rods but from my possibilities and asking.
    I didn't know about costs, just from a few websites and that's because I asked.
    I know that are art-work and hard to design and build...and really like them a lot.

Rocketfish

Rocketfish,
    If you can finish a fly rod (set guides,wrap and finish)there are some beautiful bamboo blanks available from Elkhorn Rods, for $350. They are two piece with an extra tip, and the ferrules are already set. They are really lovely!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Expensive ...

No, not all bamboo rods are expensive. There are many brought back after WW 2 that you could pick up for next to nothing ~~ but that is all they are worth ~~ next to nothing. You can pick a nice 2 tip bamboo rod for under a grand ~~ some well under a grand. There are several dealers that sell new and used rods ~~ and then there is always ebay (but it is buyer beware). There is also a classified section the classic fly rod forum. Check it out.

Rocketfish, I sent you a PM to hopefully help you.

Good luck with your search,

Jeremy.

Thank you for all the answers folks! I appreciate very much your help!!!
    I think in short time, I'll be casting one of those gems. Perhaps I build one (I built several graphite ones and perhaps It helps) or I'll buy one.

Regards,

Rocketfish

+ Reply to Thread