BAD NEWS:
    Q Towers - $145.00
    Crossbar - $60.00
    Clips and Pads - $60.00
    Security - $45.00
    Kayak Carrier - $129.00
    --------
    $439.00 + Tax = approx $470.00

The Kayak I want $750.00 + Tax = approx $803.00 (Either Native Ultimate 12 or Mad River Synergy 12)
    Paddle - $100 to $150 + Tax

So roughly just under $1500 to pull the trigger on this decision. The cost to carry the Kayak is 1/3 the price of the package! And if I sell the car the rack needs to be repurchased to fit the new car!

If I pull the trigger on this one it'll be an emotional decision not a logical one!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Blog Entries

you can get foam blocks that will hold a yak on top of your car, they work OK as long as you make sure the straps are tight and make sure everything is clean before you put it on. otherwise the foam acts like sandpaper.

Don't ask me how I know this

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Eric -

Couldn't you just put a piece of clean, thick cotton cloth between the foam and the car roof surface ?? If the straps are tensioned properly and evenly, seems like the whole set up would be stable ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Problem I had is the water I canoe is an irrigation lake, it has a lot of sediment coming into and flowing out of it. the water when I put the canoe on the roof of the car splashed down over and around the foam. when the straps heated up and stretched the pads slid through the dirt left by the water. If I had been smart, kept the lines tight and rinsed it off whith clear water I would have been fine.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

Eric-WD,

That's part of my problem - I'm a technical analyst by trade. Most of those block kits (in the fine print) say they are designed to be used with bar type racks. They do work well right on the roof top though.

My problem is this Chevy Cobalt is designed to be light. That's how I get 30 mpg around town. I love the car it looks great and handles really well, but it was not built with durability in mind. I'm afraid a kayak/Canoe directly on the roof could cave it in!

I've been looking for a couple years now for a system to carry a kayak on this vehicle and just found that REI sells a Yakima system designed for this specific car. They also carry the Mad River Synergy 12 and can order in the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. Both are about the same price and I like the "Yakanoe" concept.

Now it's just getting to the point of making a decision - I have been looking at boats on Craigslist now for several years and have passed up some real good ones because I have no way to carry it. I just found the solution although it's a bit more than I want to pay.
    Let No One Walk Alone

Blog Entries

Hmmmmmmm, a conundrum. how about a receiver hitch and a small trailer, it could be a very light trailer for a yak. also set it up to carry a second yak and the other gear. never have to load and unload.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

Blog Entries

Smile Go For It

PanFisher,

Fuel won't be getting a whole lot cheaper. It still has not hit the top. I am sure that after the elections we may have some political types that will start to scream and prices will go down a bit, but not much. Have you ever noticed that once a product goes up due to a 'shortage' then the price never really goes back down?

So, how long are you going to keep your gas saver car? Most likely a few years. That makes it worth it and who knows, you may be able to make a few changes and get the rack to fit your next gas saver car.

Go for it. Right now you are not out in the water in your canoe. Buy it and go forth and paddle.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

nighthawk Guest

I use one of these to carry my 14 foot canoe on the roof of my ZX2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROOF-...mZ260254467380

The roof of your Cobalt is stronger than you think, especially around the door jambs/headers. That is where the main structural support for the roof is located. These really work well. I tie the canoe down bow and stern, Ford/Mazda leaves the tie down hooks on the frame of their vehicles. I can travel at 70 M.P.H. in cross winds and that canoe is steady as a rock.

You can buy a light boat trailer kit from Northern Tool and Equipment for $329.99. Check it out: www.NorthernTool.com

Coach

Hey, Thanks All. One thing I didn't mention - the boat trailer is out too. I live in a Condo therefore for I have no place to store the trailer. Actually I have no place to store the boat either, but being single it can go in my bedroom.

The roof rack NightHawk pointed out looks good though. Only $40 just to try it out looks quite tempting. I may order one just to see how it works. If successful then I can go for the boat.

With the money saved I might go for the better choice of the two I am looking at.
    Let No One Walk Alone

+ Reply to Thread