+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishin' Tough Guy's!!

Hybrid View

Default Fishin' Tough Guy's!!

Today RonS81, WarrenP and myself attacked the Elk River here in South Central Tennessee. I do mean attacked!! We hiked our butts up slippery slopes through jungle like overgrowth, waded down weed filled irrigation ditches, hiked 100's of yards to only do it again! Back down to the river climbing over downed trees, fighting our way through the underbursh, tripping over sunken logs and finally back in the river! The return trip wasn't much better! Back up the overgrown steep bank, down into the almost invisable ditch and crawl up the muddy bank to the road. The road ended and it became a hike over hill and dale through 2 barbwire fences and finally, after many detours, the highway back to the parking lot!!
    What did we have to show for the trip? Over 60 trout brought to hand that's what!!
    The average age for this band of "Trout Warriors"? Somewhat over 60!!
    What a great day, and every bone in my body hurts!!

Blog Entries

Smile

It doesn't get any better than that.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I hope Jack and Ron had as much fun as I did. The weather was great, the river was just beautiful and the fellowship was fantastic and I was able to put another face to a name on FAOL! Ron is a great guy to spend the day fishing with!

Here is a shot of Ron, Jack and the river:
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hey,,, that's a big hunk of water!. Any more pictures? And,,, how big were those fish? Looks like a wonderful day.

JC,

Yes I did take a few more pictures. There were no really big fish. most were running 9" to 10". There were quite a few browns and the colors were fantastic. There might have been a few pushing 12" but just a few. I was disappointed in not being able to put Ron on larger fish, but, last years drought put the hurts to our fish. TVA did not generate all summer last year which hurt the water quality and the fish. A normal day where I took them today would usually produce most fish in the 12" to 13" range with a few 14" to 17" fish, but, they were not to be found today. I am going to take my NuCanoe and do some exploring to see if the larger fish moved further down the river.

Here is Jack and Ron again. They were both releasing fish. Picture quality not the greatest....

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

JC,

Here is another picture looking up the river from where we were:

Warren

Thumbs up

Now that's fishing! Looks like you boyz had a fantastic time. I suspect you guys will be doing the same at 100.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hey Guys -

WAY TO GO !!

Sounds like an absolutely delightful day in a beautiful place, and you earned every hit you got, no matter how many were landed or how big they were.

If I ever get down your way, I hope you'll be able to take me for a stroll through the woods and put me on some water and trout like that.

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread