Quote Originally Posted by namekagon View Post
Thanks guys!
Your kind comments make it even more special.

Gem...it was down, dirty, and personal on the fly rod.
Duckster...the 1st pike...the 1st fish I've had to fight on the reel in a long. long time...I
just didn't want to kill him. No small feat with the thrashing, typical lockjaw. and the
deep fly. Got the streamer out with no bleeding from the gills or tongue...just my left thumb,
and let him go.
I caught my first northern(just under 30") last summer while smallie fishing, and it was as you say, down and dirty. I was also on my reel for the first time in a while. Funny story, I was standing in water about waist deep, and I couldn't get this fish close enough to get a hand on him. 10 feet or so, and he would run and roll, and I couldn't get him any closer. My wife walked down to my position, and said, "hand me your rod, and I'll back up a few steps and bring it to you". sounded good, until just as I was about to lift the fish from the water as he hung in front of me, he dove right between my legs. I knew if he wrapped my leg he was lost, so a one legged hopping dance ensued, for a few seconds. If anyone was watching they probably got a good laugh.