+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Piece 3 Piece or 4 Piece Rods?

Default 2 Piece 3 Piece or 4 Piece Rods?

2 Piece 3 Piece or 4 Piece?

I have noticed lately that most, if not all of the Rod manufacturers now have more 4 Piece rods than 2 Piece rods. When I started fishing the ultimate rod was a 1 piece and most of my casting rods are just that. Of course Spinning rods and Fly Rods had to 2 piece because of the length. Firstly, the store couldn't get it shipped to them inexpensively and secondly; we couldn't carry it to the streams and rivers where the fish were. The 4 piece rods were called "Pack Rods" and everyone knew you were getting a carryable but inferior rod.

So why now are the upper end rods of most manufacturers 3 and 4 piece rods? I read one opinion that they are easier to build. I can see the advantage of a smaller rod while broken down, but wouldn't a 2 piece still out cast and out feel (for lack of a better word) a 4 piece? I understand that the manufacturers have made great advances in the construction of ferrules, but it still seems to me that no ferrule is better than a good ferrule.

So what information am I missing? Should I pay more to get a shorter rod?

------------------
    Clint

Wise men still seek HIM...
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

BB

This has been hashed and rehashed several times if not more here on FAOL.

When multi piece rods first came out, they were thought to be inferior in casting to their two piece counter parts. However, with todays modern graphite and manufacturing process that is not the case. I have cast both 2 & 4 pc rods, of the same make and model and could not tell the difference. Maybe an "expert caster" can.

Multi piece rods are easier to transport, thus the trend by rod manufacturers to offer more rods in that line. For the average fly fisherman it all comes down to personal preference.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave summed it all up.

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

In the past two years I've busted 3 rods all 4 piece. While in the past I have broken other rods, I now look at 4 piece rods as having twice as many sections that can break.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

When I'm buying a rod, if I like it, the number of pieces it has is my last consideration. When comparing weights of multi pc rods the more ferrules and ferrule wraps you have will increase the weight of the rod.
    I like a multi pc rod with an even number of pcs, something that breaks down in the middle ie: 2-4-6 etc.
    Frustration sets in when I am anxious to get on the water and I am still by the car trying to assemble a multi pc rod.
    I read comments somewhere by an expert that the ideal number of pcs for a multi pc rod was 3...had something to do with rod action and the placement of ferrules.....Who knows?

I don't buy anything unless it is 4 pc.

Traveling with anything else is a pain and since I don't want to buy again it is logical to make certain that the rod is easily transportable. You never know when you might have an opportunity!

One other comment, the last rod I broke was a 2 pc. When the manufacturer replaced it I paid $50 to upgrade to the 4 pc without hesitation. I can break any rod irregardless of how many pieces it is

I prefer a 2-piece. Compact enough for me to carry but not too many pieces to keep track of or loose (the less pieces the better for me ). Ideally I would rather use a 1-piece for better strength but its not readily transportable unless I stick it out of the vehicle door window, strap it to the vehicle roof, or put it in the bed of the pick-up.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Just one more piece of information. Bamboo rods have a "dead space" where the rods join because metal ferrules don't flex. In that case, the fewer pieces to the rod, the better the rod casts in all likelihood. (Note: I do not own a bamboo rod and I'm not a bamboo enthusiast -- but I am applying common sense to the problem.)

This is not true for graphite rods, and modern 4-piece graphite rods cast as well as 2-piece rods in the opinion of expert fly casters that I know (I'm far from an expert).

3-piece rods are being replaced by 4-piece rods because of the travel convenience of 4-piece rods.

Here is my 2 cents to your questions.

The higher end rods of most manufacturers are purchased by the segment of the market that has significant disposable income. Besides being able to afford a more expensive rod, they tend to travel on fishing trips and prefer a multi-piece rod.

As a rod builder, multi-piece rods are not necessarily easier to build or to construct as said earlier, due to the extra ferrules and extra wrapping. The more pieces a rod blank has, the more expensive the blank due to the added cost of adding ferrules in construction. The added ferrules and wraps also adds weight to the rod, not considered a desirable feature.

The current multi-piece rods do have a very good feel and action compared to a 2 piece rod. I own several myself. However, I find the 2 piece rods do have a slightly better feel and action. Lets face it, a normal ferrule section in a rod is about 1 1/2" long. In a 2 piece rod there is 1 1/2" of rod over lap where in a 4 piece there is 4 1/2" of over lap stiffening the rod. Thus, there is some change in the feel of the rod.

So if you need a rod for travel, the multi-piece rods are great! Most people even, if they do not travel much, buy a multi-piece rod just in case they need it like most SUV owners.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

+ Reply to Thread