+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bugs, Bites and Permethrin

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    "Plant" a fabric softener sheet in your hat band, or under the brim of your hat, and another one in a shirt pocket. Not only will you keep the bugs at bay, you'll smell good.
    Betty,
    Men around the world are going to speak your name with the highest respect and honor for all of time to come! Do you realize what you have done? In one feel swoop you just cured one of the most embarrassing symptoms of Swamp A**. The smell!

Think of it guys. Just follow Betty's advice only instead of putting the dryer sheet into your hat band put it into the back pocket of your pants!

Betty, you are the best! Now where did I put that last bottle of Old Granddad? Hiccup..hee..hee!

2. Default

I was just at Christmas Tree Shopes. While my wife was wondering lost and confused, I found a product by 3M. Spray can for $1,99. Says it will stay on the garment for 2 weeks, and a couple washings (I already know what you are thinking). The can is good for 2 sets of clothes, shirt, pants, and socks. Good for tics too.
    I use the little "Skeeter Chasers" the electronic things that make a noise like a dragonfly. No mess. Keep in mind that fish do NOT like the smell of bug dope. If you get the stuff on your hands, and change flies.... Please don't wash your hands in the stream, I may be downstream. Relieving yourself in the stream or lake is also not a good idea.

Later, time for a tic check...

(Quote from Bamboozle);"I do the Buzz Off bandanna thing too and that helps as well but I was SO desperate to try it on my hat that I even washed it! But the instructions said no hats or underwear so I didn't.

Hmmmm.Maybe, Bam, this "not washing the underwear", contributes to the annoying attraction of the insects in question? (just, a thought).
    Leave the cow at home and just take a dried pie along in a ziplock. if the fishing's slow, (and you're with a fish'in buddy), you can also pass the time, playing Frisbee with it.
    HRH Betty is also correct. I read the "dryer sheet trick", in FR&R mag, several years ago and it DOES WORK. (in keeping the bugs off, that is......NOTHING makes me "smell any better" when fishing, however). I clip one on the rear net D-ring of my vest, another, half sheet in a mesh vest pocket and fish probably 95% "bug free" and out here, in Oregon, we have Skeeters that are large enough in places, that they wear goggles and file flight plans with the local airports.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Plant" a fabric softener sheet in your...you'll smell good.
    Are you implying I already don't.

I'll have to try one in my hat! What about just rubbing the hat with the dryer sheet?

"Plant" a fabric softener sheet in your hat band, or under the brim of your hat, and another one in a shirt pocket. Not only will you keep the bugs at bay, you'll smell good.
    Yep....I've been doing that for a few years now and it works great (doesn't melt any equipment, either) Another thing I do with it is I keep half a sheet in the bottom of waders at all times...it prevents what I call "The stinky wader syndrome", which of course Betty wouldn't know about....women's waders don't get stinky like ours do...right By the way, i prefer Makers Mark or Knob Creek for my bourbon, but grandpa or his pet turkey are welcome any time
    Last edited by ausable_ny; 06-18-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Another way to ward off biting bugs is Listerine. Use it like you would bug dope.

Or eat LOTS of garlic. You might smell funky but once it starts coming out of your pores it does keep skeeters away. It might even work as a fish attractant too if you wet wade.

Just put Dryer sheets on my list and will give it a good field test next month.

+ Reply to Thread