+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs, Bites and Permethrin

Default Bugs, Bites and Permethrin

Based on some information given by "rgsii" in a previous thread; I was intrigued with the idea of having my favorite Cabela's fishing shirt becoming bug proof, so I ordered one of the Sawyer Permethrin kits that require soaking your garment for two hours in the stuff.

I am DELIGHTED to report that the stuff REALLY works!

I now have the bug repellent fishing shirt I always wanted and the treatment should last me through the buggy season. Unfortunately Sawyer doesn't recommend its use on hats or I would have done my hat too.

If you hate using fly dope like I do; give the Sawyer Permethrin treatment a try. I am very satisfied so far!

Thanks rgsii for the idea!

Default ?

I need to look into this. Cabela's ok
    Ordered mind today June 22nd
    nothing ruins a good trip like bugs
    Last edited by whichwayout; 06-22-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: up date

Default thanks

Thanks bamboozle gotta try this one for my son.
    he gets nailed by a skeeter and the bite swells up like a marble.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Thumbs up

Howdy Bamb - Try this:

Spray that stuff only on the underside of the cap bill - keeps the critters out of your face most of the time. When they get REALLY desperate, I use a Buzz-Off bandana and pull it up over my nose. Deet makes me nauseous, so I avoid it at all costs. Another really good product I've found is Cutter Advanced Sport containing Picaridin (got it at Wally World). Really works well for me and doesn't mess up your fly lines or waders.

I'm gonna soak my shirt in 100% deet for two hours. That should do it.

nighthawk Guest

WWHHAATT!!! You guys giving up on the big stinky stogies? Better check to see if all those chemicals are flammable before lighting any stogies. I personally prefer JP-4 (jet petroleum #4) but they don't make it anymore. Used to worry the E.P.A. types too. I wonder if soaking myself from the inside out with good bourbon will do the trick?

Seriously I like Cutter products but will probably give permethrin a try.

Nighthawk:

The stogies aren't going anywhere no matter how much the wife complains! Internal Bourbon soaking doesn't help with the bugs, but it does help. Any external Bourbon soaking is usually the result of too much internal Bourbon soaking.

Heritage:

I do the Buzz Off bandanna thing too and that helps as well but I was SO desperate to try it on my hat that I even washed it! But the instructions said no hats or underwear so I didn't.

(I'm happy to report after several fishing trips that I didn't wash the luck out of the hat!!)

I may try some Ultrathon on the bill one of these days. My problem is I am so scared of ruining my equipment with fly dope after I messed up a casting reel once that I never use it no matter how bad the bugs are. I buy the stuff, carry it around but never put it on. I have a 25+ year old bottle of unopened Muskol!

Sawyer has the kit where you soak your garments which is what I used, and a spray. The soak kit even comes with a giant Ziploc bag for the soaking process. While the spray seems simpler, you still have to soak the garment with the spray and let it dry for two hours.

So far I haven't got those frequent mosquito bites I usually get through my shirt and there doesn't seem to be as many bugs hanging around me in general. I also hear the stuff repels and KILLS ticks which is a great thing where I fish.

The ONLY bugs that seem unfazed by the stuff are those non-biting but EXTREMELY annoying GIANT houseflies from outer space that call Clark's Creek home. Those @#*!$ critters drive you crazy with their constant buzzing and landing all over you. Even the stogies don't keep them away!

I'm thinking of taking a cow along with me the next time I go to Clark's in the hopes it and its pies may be more attractive to the flies. If that fails, maybe Elsie could whack a few off of me with her tail.

Hey, can you teach a cow to fetch beer?

Default Bugs

My wife just got me a new Orvis Fishing shirt with the bug off. I will being trying it out on Clarks Creek this weekend. I have also found that spraying the underside of your hat works pretty well. Bam, I agree nothing keeps those big ugly flies from buzzing around...if I see a cow grazing in one of the fields near Clarks I'll look for you nearby.

Bill

Default That strange tick...

Bam, should you develop an odd, strange twitch or tick after a couple of weeks using this shirt, I trust you'll post about it?

(I wanna know because I have this twitch and the shirt might help cure it....)

Jeremy.

"Plant" a fabric softener sheet in your hat band, or under the brim of your hat, and another one in a shirt pocket. Not only will you keep the bugs at bay, you'll smell good.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread